stop avira update automatically

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SnowFlakes, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

hi.
    how can i stop avira to update automatic?
    i want to update it manualy.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I don't believe you can stop it. It updates at approximately around the time you installed Avira and then around 12 hours later unless you delay the second update by increasing the time value. Go to expert configuration mode to make changes.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

When I used Avira, thats what I did. I don't know if they changed it but if you open expert mode, there was/is a update entry for settings that change how definition updates and product updates are carried out. There you can disable automatic updates. I tested Avira 10 for a few hours, just before 12 got released and I think those options were still available so its likely that they still there now.

Bo

4. The Hammer

Auto updates cannot be stopped completely.

5. SnowFlakes

well that's to bad, because i really need to stop the automatic updates i want my avira to update from a time that i selected, let's say 19:30 i typed in avira schedule update, but i don't want avira to update other times,

So is there really no other suggestions that i can stop avira updates ?

6. The Hammer

Maybe someone can supply info at Avira's forum but that's what I've been told by members there.

7. bo elam

When I used Avira 9, Avira NEVER updated automatically as I had automatic updates disabled. I am sorry but I don't understand what you mean when you say that Automatic updates can not be stopped....completely. I used Avira for a year and never saw it doing updates automatically when I had auto updates disabled.

Bo

8. bo elam

Pedro, you can stop automatic updates as I did if the options are still available, navigate to the update entry (if its still there) in Expert mode and disable the functions.

Bo

9. The Hammer

THe option is no longer available at least in version 12. I am a current user and I've checked.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  10. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Forcing automatic updates? Wow.

Have you looked under the hood at processes involved, network traffic, update servers, etc in an attempt to determine if the update mechanism can be selectively blocked via firewall rules or some other hack?

11. SnowFlakes

i have 1Mbit/s and it's slow so i want to stop automatic update but it seem impossible to do that :(

12. fax

fax Registered Member

You should go then for a cloud based AV (e.g. WSA, Panda, etc). They will be eating far less bandswitch. If you want to run traditional AVs (signature based) you need to update as often as possible otherwise they will have little use and provide little protection. ;)

13. SnowFlakes

will the new Avira - beta 2013 have the control to stop automatic update ?
    so i can manualy update the antivirus ?

14. The Hammer

Don't know. But I would encourage all users to also register on Avira's forum as that would be a good question to ask and so that you can get current info from the moderators and other users.

15. The Hammer

Excellent alternative suggestion.

16. Fly

Fly Registered Member

There are some options in the Avira security suite - I don't know which product you have.

There is an option under administration - scheduler. Create an update 'job'.

Expert mode - update: you can choose not to download product updates.
    You have also considerable leeway to set the interval for automatic updates, up to 22 days.
    You can still perform manual updates.

This is for the security suite.

17. The Hammer

What you've posted is essentially correct,even for the Premium and free versions of the AV only, as well as the suite. However product updates are different than definition updates. IF you click on product update when there is no new version or build available it will trigger a manual update of the definitions. And yes you can delay a update up to 22 days but there is one person on the Avira forum who still gets the update around the time of day they initially installed Avira Free although they may delay it for some days as you say. This person also gets a second update. http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=145609

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.