Still a need for Spy Sweeper these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Chamlin, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

Using NOD32, Online Armor (paid), and have pretty much ignored everything else like Adaware etc. I have a copy of Spy Sweeper 5 for which the updates expired in May 2008.

What are your thoughts about the importance of things like Spy Sweeper?

2. Triple Helix

Triple Helix Webroot Product Advisor

I used Spysweeper and is very good but very heavy on resources! It would be better to have SUPER AS & MBAM free and do weekly scans and even A2 Free. So I would say no but it is up to you! ;)

TH

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

NOD32 isn't good at detecting adware/spyware, is it ? Unless it's Eset Smart Security or something like that. (I've read about it, never used it).

I have Spy Sweeper version 5.5.7, I suppose it still can be somewhat useful. Not a resource hog on MY computer.

Your expired Spy Sweeper may provide some protection, but the seriously out of date definitions are a drawback.

I wouldn't recommend the later versions, expect more resource hogging and collection of 'personal' data. Plus the bad customer service.

I know virtually nothing about Online Armor.

I think you should have some way of dealing with spyware, adware, keyloggers, backdoors, rootkits, ransomware etc.

4. playa4life

playa4life Registered Member

No, spy sweeper sucks, and now they install a taskbar without your permission....this software is a spyware now,you dont want that,don't ya?

If you want a high detection and a complete antispy stick with spyware doctor...

5. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I'm not up to date with the latest Spy Sweeper versions.

Last time I tried to 'upgrade' to 5.8, there was in the customized install an option to NOT install the toolbar. (Anyway, I went back to 5.5.7)

Spyware Doctor ? I once considered it a very good program, but the release of version 5 was terrible. All sorts of problems, Pctools tried to fix things in several new versions, but in the end I had to reformat my harddisk.
    That 'final release' was basically a very bad beta.
    Plus bad business ethics. I'll never buy something from that company again.

6. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

I second that :thumb: .

7. WilliamMary

WilliamMary Registered Member

I guess you need to change other security program, because SpySweeper really consume system resource, I/O read and write and many error of this program behaviour. I guess they don't fully do QA in real world pc.

8. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I'm still on version 5.5.7, I didn't like 5.8, but this version is light on resources on MY computer.

9. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I think a real-time antispyware program wouldn't be a bad idea.
    If you aren't sure of SpySweeper there are other programs that you could trial.

You could take a look at:
    SUPERAntispyware (free or Pro versions available)
    A-Squared (Free or AntiMalware versions available)
    CounterSpy(Paid version)

10. Fly

Fly Registered Member

FYI, Counterspy has a free fully functional trial, same goes for VIPRE (also made by Sunbelt, includes antivirus and such, Counterspy is a subset of VIPRE)

11. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

A "free fully functional trial" = shareware. After all you do have to pay for it after the trial period expires. That's the difference between freeware and shareware.

As for Vipre, I wouldn't advise running two antivirus programs, especially since the original poster asked about SpySweeper and not an antivirus program.

12. kriebly

kriebly Registered Member

I follow the advice of having one AV, one firewall, and at least one anti-spyware program.

For my primary anti-spyware, the ability to detect as many infectors as possible is what I give the greatest weight to. As such, I use Webroot Spy Sweeper (now version 6).

I have all of the realtime shields on, and I don't perceive any performance problems with it.

The on-demand scanner _will_ slow the machine down noticeably. For this reason I have it scheduled to automatically run every morning, and if I'm using the machine to do something disk-intensive at the time, I just cancel out of it. :)

(My (and your) NOD32 does check for spyware, and my Zonealarm Pro includes antispyware as well, the latter getting decent reviews, but I treat both of these as secondaries.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.