Steve Jobs - Vinyl better than iPod

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by CloneRanger, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

It's being done on audio CDs as well and seems to have gone into overdrive since the 2000s. The difference is very clear if you play back a song from a 1980s or 90s album and then play the same song again from a 2007 "greatest hits" album. It's loud, overcompressed and a lot of dynamic range is lost.

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Agreed. This is why I hardly come here anymore. Everyone has some sort of god complex where they know everything regardless of cold hard facts.

3. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

Are you serious?! You are supposedly an avid music listener and you haven't noticed this trend or even read about it? I'm flabbergasted!
    You might want to take a look at this video for example. There are of course plenty of other examples and information on the Internet about this... "phenomenon".
    The loudness war and bad mastering in general are things that worry me a million times more than compression. I am fully aware that a lossy file doesn't have the same quality as a lossless file or a CD (as they are essentially the same). This is because information is thrown away that can never be restored. However, this doesn't mean that the compressed file cannot sound indestinguishable (a.k.a. transparent) from the original. Yes, a good encoder is needed and so is good bitrate. For example for MP3 one has to use LAME Encoder as it is by fat the best one out there, and is still actively developed. Also the version of the encoder is important - as a rule latest stable is best.
    I agree that under certain conditions one might be able to tell the difference between a lossless file and a properly created lossy file. However, this requires really quality equipment, trained ears and a well mastered and appropriate track. One can't just grab some mp3 file off some torrent somewhere. Well, one can but one also needs to be sure that this file has been created from an original CD, has been compressed with the proper encoder and with well chosen settings. That's why homemade MP3's are best in my opinion. Also, one can't compare a CD played on a dedicated player and a lossy file coming from an onboard sound's analogue outputs. You specifically should be aware of this, but I'm mentioning it just in case.

Again, I agree that difference can be heard but there a few "if's" that need to be fulfilled first, and those "if's" are pretty big. In the rest of the >99% of the cases the audible differences are non-existent.

For crying out loud, both AC-3 and DTS are lossy formats, yet I've never heard anyone complain about that. In fact many people are quite impressed with DTS and always prefer it to AC3. It is a symbol of quality of some sort. Or was kind of, since with Blu-ray lossless formats are gaining popularity.

4. whitedragon551

Night Raven your wasting your time. He probably also thinks Richard Clarks test holds value when in reality its a $10,000 test that doesnt hold any water.

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You sure are passionate about your opinion.

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

You and whitedragon might want to read through the thread more carefully, then you might realize how riduculous some of your comments are. Hint, you've missed some key statements :rolleyes: BTW, I don't own any cd's produced from the late nineties onward. Oh well, two more to add to my ignore list.

7. whitedragon551

Havent missed anything other than people comparing different equipment using different music formats to claim that they sound different. :rolleyes:

8. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

What an odd topic. I think Night_Raven pretty much summed it up fairly well.

There are a lot of factors in listening to music (environment, equipment, format, even the person listening) and those factors have to line up in certain ways for certain outcomes - most of the time it's simply that you won't hear the difference.

9. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Maybe true fact from people within the field?

-http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2011/07/13/vinyl-vs-cd-the-tables-are-turning-rolling-stones-dom-lyor-cohen/2/

-http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=4781

There's a mention to a test conducted by a Stanford University music professor, about the blind tests. Do read it. Then, go eat some hot dog and relax listening to your preferable medium. :D

-edit-

According to this website, the study that professor conducted lasted 7 years. -http://www.ehow.com/about_6644724_cd-vs_-vinyl-sound-quality.html

10. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

This isn't computing or security... :blink:

Thread closed. :isay:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.