Stealth mode browsing

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Toshii, Jul 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toshii

Toshii Guest

Hi,
    I have been using Sygate Pro for awhile, and have been using the "stealth mode browsing" feature. I'm not really familiar with it but the feature seems to block websites to know what kind of computer and browser you are using.

I wanted to know if there is any other firewalls or programs that have the same kind of function. I have tested others, like webwasher, but they only stop things like javascripts and it's not exactly how Sygate's feature works. It works on websites such as Windows Update or Cgi related message boards, where it displays your computer info on the message when you post, are such examples.

If anyone knows about this in details, could you please explain it to me?

Thanks for any input.

2. jvmorris

jvmorris Registered Member

Sure, it's just usually referred to a bit differently! :) In AtGuard and then NIS and NPF, this has to do with whether you permit or block Referers and User-Agents, which are an integral part of the traffic between you and any website you visit. And you can do the block or permit these two items on either a global or site-by-site basis. I typically block referers, but not User-Agent. In the latter instance, there are too many sites that I use that really need to know what browser and OS you're using in order to make the appropriate choices as to what content to provide. Sure, you don't have to tell them, but then you get rather generic contents, as a general rule.

Actually, in AG/NIS/NPF, there's actually a capability to lie about your User-Agent! And, indeed, at one time this was rather important. There was, for example, the infamous case of Microsoft blocking access to its websites for Win 3x users (all of five years ago) because it was trying to "encourage" these users to upgrade. The solution was quite simple; you simply told them that you were using Win9x in the User-Agent. And, at that point, you had full access to the Win 3x portions of the MS website. :eek:

Hope that helps.

3. Toshii

Toshii Guest

Thanks with the reply Joseph. :)

I have been trying to learn more about computer security these days, and your explanation has helped me clarify on this. I really appreciate it.

The only thing that remains is whether there is any other program besides Sygate FP, Atguard, NIS, NPF. Anyone?

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Toshii

Outpost and ZAPro are other firewalls with this capability in addition to Sygate and AG/NIS/NPF. These are the only ones that come to mind right now.

Several third party proxy programs will provide this functionality (and more) and are used by many. (ie. Proxomitron, Adsubstract, etc.)

Regards,

CrazyM

edit: to add ZAP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.