Staying anonymous on social media sites

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by ohblu, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohblu

ohblu Registered Member

I have noticed over the last few years that sometimes people post things on social media sites (Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, blogs, etc.) that end up making it into the news and sometimes become a media sensation. I don't pay attention to most of this stuff but it seems like a lot of the times, the person who posts a comment or video (or whatever) that garners the attention ends up being identified in the news.

In the case of Youtube or blogs, where the person may be using a screen name, how do they become identified in the news?

As an example, let's say that I create an anonymous blog using a pen name, and something I post becomes a media sensation. How would reporters find out my real name if I used a pen name and had created and signed up with an email address that was only used with that blog? I thought ISP records could only be obtained through a court order, so there should be no way a reporter could get my info. And unless I broke a law and was being investigated, no one should be accessing the ISP records. Do reporters contact the people and ask for their name? Maybe we only hear about the ones that want their name revealed?

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

That's not surprising. Reporters commonly research stuff like that.

Maybe they're using a screen name, but they (or someone that knows who they are) posts something that identifies them. It might be as subtle as a digital photo with their real name or address as metadata. Or maybe someone writes about them, using their real name, and mentions their blog. It might be innocent. Or someone might dox them for kicks :(

If that email address was not linked to your real name, and had never been used for any other purpose, it's unlikely that it would deanonymize you. If they get you to email them, they might get your IP address from the email. That would be a clue, but not enough by itself. But there might be other clues in the blog, such as digital photos.

That's true. But sometimes friends do favors for friends ;)

I'm sure that they do. Reporters love solving mysteries :)

Maybe. Sometimes people just can't resist bragging. That's what got Bradley Manning :(

3. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Or maybe the media creates the news? Don't believe anything you see on TV.

4. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

You could use Epiphany Browser from Linux Liberte which supports HTML5. I've heard you can log onto Youtube from Tor with HTML5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.