Started using Sandboxie - any advice?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by raven211, Jun 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Why? Explain reasons.

2. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

By giving Direct Access permissions, only the web browser process (if the sandbox restricts run permissions to it) will be able to save files in the Downloads folder or whatever other folder the user allows Direct Access. Downloaded files and installed programs inside that sandbox won't have access to the folder(s).

Full Access gives FULL access to any program, including those installed and/or downloaded.

So, Direct Access is all that is needed, unless the user wishes to give other files (installed or downloaded) such (Full Access) permissions.

4. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Thanks for this.

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

What kind of game are you playing? Do you know the meaning of plagiarism? Scoobs72 had already pointed out you should respect the original poster, but now you are using text by Tekno to post here and then text by m00nbl00d to reply to Tekno in the other forum under the alias of Johann Bach. Very odd indeed.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1475164

6. Boost

Boost Registered Member

The thing is,this TheMozart has been playing games with posts on here for a looong time. Search for his or her postings,and you'll find strange behavior all the way around. Not sure whats going on. I've noticed it for awhile now,I wish the mods would notice it.

7. RT808

RT808 Registered Member

i have a question, if i enable all those settings, can i still use my email and save all the email i want to save? or will it all be deleted when i exit and delete the sandbox?

Also, with the frequent firefox updates and add-ons updating, i've been running it non-SB during those events, then close and open sandboxie. How do your browsers update if always forced sandbox? thanks

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Webmail isn't affected, because they're stored online.

By running the installer. I also add Firefox profile exclusion for add-on convenience.

9. m00nbl00d

I feel... :eek: o_O

10. m00nbl00d

As J_L mentioned, if you use a web browser to access your e-mail, no issues. If you'd like to save e-mail, via web browser, you either download it to wherever you want it, and Sandboxie will ask you if you'd like to save to the real folder, or you can give direct access to a folder where you'd like to save the e-mail. Just make sure that folder has no execution permissions. Just in case. ;)

If you use an e-mail client, if you go to the e-mail client sandbox Settings > Applications > E-mail Client, you'll probably see the one you use. Just make sure to double-click [ ], which then you'll see [x]. This should allow you to save your e-mails just fine.

You could always test it, by sending an e-mail to yourself and see if after reopening the e-mail client inside Sandboxie, you still see the e-mail.

11. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hardening your mail client sandbox will not have an adverse effect, so
    your emails wont get deleted when you delete the sandbox.
    The lesser the amount of programs that you allow to start/run and to
    connect, the safer you are.
    Update Firefox, out of the sandbox. On the registered version, disable
    forced programs by right clicking the icon in the taskbar. After updating,
    close your browser and reopen it sandboxed.

Bo

12. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

heh, heh...this is the one annoying thing about updating FF, is that I have sometimes forgotten to disable forced programs before updating :ouch: My fault, of course, for having a less than stellar memory :D

13. blasev

blasev Registered Member

Same here :D

That's why I turn off alll autoupdate, only use manual

14. 7ekno

7ekno Registered Member

Rubbish, it's a direct copy of my Whirlpool post :p

Figured you couldn't read and comprehend enough to pick the difference between Direct and Full Access mode yourself ...

For anybody curious, I recommended Full Access due to a few elderly people I set up on it having problems opening PDFs, XLS, etc from their web-browsers (you known, "click here for view XLS/PDF" type websites!), if you look at the complete recommendation, full access shouldn't be too much of a vunerability given execution and internet access is locked down ;)

7ek

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  15. m00nbl00d

If you allow the PDF reader's process(s) and Excel/other start/access permissions in the web browser's sandbox, there should be no issues for them to open such files from within the web browser. Those applications are installed outside Sandboxie, and therefore the Direct Access feature of Sandboxie won't apply to them.

Full Access would only be needed if such applications were to be installed inside the web browser's sandbox. Which is precisely the only difference between Direct Access.

Direct Access = Only sandboxed applications, such as web browser, etc (installed in the real O.S) have access to the folder(s).

Full Access = Anything (sandboxed application(s), downloaded and/or installed applications) inside the sandbox will be given full access to the folder.

Direct Access should not restrict their use of their PDF reader and Excel/other.

16. bo elam

Thats how it is on my computer, don't need to allow any kind of file access
    in order to open files from the browser. My only sandbox that requires File
    access(full) on my PC is my Outlook Express sandbox.

Bo

17. 7ekno

7ekno Registered Member

While I agree for experienced users, the "userbase" I had written that tutorial for were more closely related to Grandparents (that had the requirement of communicating via PDF, that is it required downloading, filling out the form, saving the edited form and sending back via either webmail or mail client without having to find the edited files in the SandBox or wait for Quick Recovery)!

I probably did not explain it that well here in hindsight, but this thread has a little more detail in why (in this unique situation) I recommended Direct Access:
    http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10970

7ek

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  18. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I'm not that familiar with sandboxie so I hope the OP wont mind me posting in this thread too?.I wouldn't want something hard or awkward to use ,so i guess I would be in the "grandparents" category of knowledge and useability.I would like to run firefox/IE in sandboxie automatically.However My firefox is launched from rocketdock.I can right click sandboxie tray icon and run firefox sandboxed from there but not from rocketdock.How would i do this?.Also when firefox is run sandboxed ,my sticky passwords (form filler) icon isn't there any more.Is it possible to get that to work normally with firefox in the sandbox? and if so how?.To accomplish these things would i need the paid version or will the free suffice?.I also notided that upon installation sandboxie made compatibility changes because of NAV 2011.Does anything else need to be changed between nav and sandboxie so that things run smoothly?
    tia
    ellison

19. bo elam

Hi Ellison64, your default browser will open sandboxed when you click on the
    "Sandboxed WebBrowser" icon that Sandboxie created on your desktop. For
    the other browser that you use, you can create a sandboxed shortcut on
    your desktop or taskbar and launch that browser from there.

I don't know anything about Rocketdock, what it does or how it works but
    I guess you can put the Icons that I mentioned in there and they would
    run sandboxed automatically when you click on them.

Other than that, you need the registered version in order to force folders
    and programs sandboxed and to have more than one sandbox open at the
    same time.

To make SBIE and Norton work better you should also go to applications in
    settings of the sandbox that you are using and in Security/Privacy, apply
    a check where you see the name of the Norton program that you use.

Bo

20. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Thanks for the info..
    I've played with the free for a while ,and noticed that rocketdock has some sort of compatibility problem.I don't really feel comfortable using sandboxie at present so Ill leave it for a while.Thanks again.
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.