Standalone Sticky Tarpit Needed

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by TECHWG, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

How can i get a tarpit that will work with my firewall i already have? i want to be able to input ranges of ports to tarpit.

2. Antus

Antus Registered Member

8Signs Firewall has the tarpit feature incorporated within its firewall. Its very effective to say the least. You may want to trial it to see how you like it.
    http://www.8signs.com

3. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

LOL i have 8 signs, and its not compatible with Sunbelt Kerio . . thats why i need a stand alone one. 8signs can not do what i need and it stops my kerio from working = No net connection.

4. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

5. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

THing, is that i need a tarpit that will keep the sockets connected and make them loose their steam and force them to reboot before they can scan me again. I have done this with 8signs but i cant use that firewall in my situation.

6. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Basically . . . heres the concept:

A personal firewall makes all closed ports STEALTH . . . well i want all my closed ports to appear OPEN and be Tarpitted so that all connections get stuck. (tarpitted ports dont use any system resources either . . .) all the ports that show as STEALTH would instead be OPEN TARPIT... Thus slowing down scans and hackers instead of just making them slip by you.

7. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Sorry if this seems dense on my part...

Since you already have 8-signs and have gotten it working with your tarpits, why don't you use it? Just disable incoming filtering for Kerio and NDIS, then no double packet filtering will occur, and Kerio will be reduced do an application control only firewall.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

8. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

I tried and kerio does not want to work. . . also i want ALL closed ports tarpitted which 8signs can not do withought blocking all incoming (solicited or non-solicited) I need a firewall that will tarpit all closed ports. and frankly i dont see that one exists, unless someone knows something that i can rig up like that . .

9. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

10. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

11. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Just a small FYI, having your ports stealthed will slow down scans greatly since the scanner has to wait a few seconds for a response on each port (rather than getting a "port closed" message back in a split-second which would be the case with a closed port).

Also anyone considering tarpitting needs to take care that they do not include ports being used by applications they run (e.g. file-sharing networks). It probably would be better to limit tarpitting to specific ports only (e.g. port 25 SMTP to catch spammers looking for open mail relays) just to avoid any collateral effects.

12. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Nice points, but I must say that I very much enjoy viewing all the attempts on my fake servers :D

KFSensor Pro. although very expensive is incredibly configurable and detailed; I'm impressed with it.

13. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Yes it is good,..I used this at home for a short time, and enjoyed watching all the attempts from my ISP to gain entry.

14. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Right now I have 3,960 people stuck according to KFSensor...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.