"Stacking" backup schedules for rotation?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Allen42, Apr 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allen42

Allen42 Registered Member

Since it will take me a week to test this theory, I thought I'd ask if the following would work:

Can I make two schedules for a job that would make it possible for me to "rotate" media?

Schedule 1:
    Full baseline backup (selected files, not image) of drive D:
    Run weekly on Sunday to target drive Z:, target file "Comp1_DriveD"

Schedule 2:
    Incremental backup (same files selection as schedule 1) of drive D:
    Run daily on Mon through Sat to exact same file name "Z:\Comp1_DriveD".

(I've implemented this for a few days, and notice that I have two file names on the backup system: "Comp1_DriveD", and "Comp1_DriveD2".)

My theory and hope is that TI would start a new baseline each Sunday, and make incrementals based upon that baseline the remainder of the week. Each week, I would have a "stand-alone" set of files (one baseline and six incrementals) that could be archived to offline media and then removed from near-line media. This would mean that that the "file set" would have to contain all of the information needed to perform a full restore in the event of a catastrophe.

Can someone certifiy that this is how TI would perform?

-Allen

2. Mem

Mem Registered Member

Yes that will work but you may want to set it for imaging every two weeks and at the start of the second week set up the same schedule with a different target name (in a different directory). This would give you two weeks of backups (and then overwrite the old images) giving some extra time to get to the previous weeks images for offline storage.

3. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

“(I've implemented this for a few days, and notice that I have two file names on the backup system: "Comp1_DriveD", and "Comp1_DriveD2".)”
    At the end of the week you should have 7 file names. “D” for the FULL and “D2”, “D3”, “D4” … for each of the INCs.

“Each week, I would have a "stand-alone" set of files (one baseline and six incrementals) that could be archived to offline media and then removed from near-line media”
    Yes, provided that you archive them BEFORE the full backup runs again.
    Each Sunday, the “D” file will be overwritten. Once this happens, all the INCs become orphaned and can no longer be used to restore. The next day (Monday), file “D2” will be overwritten and so on.

“This would mean that that the "file set" would have to contain all of the information needed to perform a full restore in the event of a catastrophe”
    Each “file set” will allow you to fully restore to any day of that week you choose.

4. Allen42

Allen42 Registered Member

Thanks guys.

It sounds like alternating weekly schedules per Mem would be the way to go, then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.