Stable Version of NOD

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by TONPumper, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TONPumper

TONPumper Registered Member

Is there a version of NOD32 that's more stable than the rest? ~Off topic comment removed.~

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2010
  2. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello TONPumper,

The latest version of ESET NOD32 Antivirus is 4.2.58. Each version is tested before being released to the public. Do you have any specific questions concerning how the machine you will be running NOD32 on is set up?

For more information on how each new version is made up see the following Knowledgebase article:
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2256

Thank you,
    Richard

3. TONPumper

No. I mean, NOD32 doesn't appear to update hourly like it's supposed to. When I install a Windows' Update and have to restart, then NOD32 updates, if that makes any sense.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The ESET programs check for updates hourly. If there is an update, the program is updated.

5. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

If you are having an issue with the system updates component, disable it. As Ron said, the server polls your software every hour, by default, assuming you have not adjusted your scheduler settings.

Attached Files:

6. TONPumper

Where can I find a list of what's included with each NOD32 update?

7. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

8. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

9. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Specific information included in each virus signature file may be found here, Documentation here

10. J-Mac

J-Mac Registered Member

Does NOD32 ever check for program updates? I have version 4.0.474 running on three computer, all with Windows 7 Home Premium. The definitions seem to be checked regularly several times daily but I don’t know that it ever checks for program updates.

And if not, then this has to be one of the last programs on earth that doesn’t check for program updates. Is there a particular reason for that? Or have they just not gotten around to it....?

Thank you.

Jim

11. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

Program updates are supported but only seem to happen when a completely finalized version is out. The last time this happened was when all the v3 users were bumped up to v3.0.695. New builds are generally bug fixes and minor features, things that aren't exactly critical so Eset leaves it up to the user's discretion to update. If they aren't having any issue then there isn't exactly a pressing need. Once a version has finished development and there are reasonably sure that pushing out the update will not cause problems for their customers, Eset does it.

12. J-Mac

J-Mac Registered Member

Thanks Smacky.

So there was nothing significant at all added in all releases between 4.0.474 and the current 4.2.64.12? Kinda tough to swallow.

And if they just want to make it available "if the user happens to want it" but not mandatory, then they should show a notification on the program UI somewhere and allow the download to be initiated from there. How many users are going to faithfully check the website to see if a new version has been released?

It's just sloppy and unexpected from a supposedly "major" software player like Eset.

Thank you.

Jim

13. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Automatic distribution of program component updates (PCU) has been discussed here at Wilder's numerous times. The point is that new minor builds bring improvements / fixes applicable for a reasonably low number of users while distributing a PCU to all users would increase the risk of problems arising after the PCU. Jeopardizing the stability and operability of millions of our users is simply not a way to go. Therefore: 1, PCU are released after they have been proven stable on hundreds of thousands of different configurations, 2, significant fixes are distributed automatically via module updates (downloaded and installed with virus signature updates) after they have been thoroughly tested and available for users with pre-release updates for a reasonably long time.

14. J-Mac

J-Mac Registered Member

Thanks Marcos.

I have read that before here but not in over a year or two. Unfortunately I have only had PCU updates automatically once since 2005, so you might understand why I felt it had been abandoned.

Thank you.

Jim

15. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

There will probably be a feature announcing new versions added in the near future at least. Of course, the announcements may not be immediate but displayed with a short delay after new build installers are made available for download. Automatic PCU updates will be distributed as usual when we are sure the particular build does not have any more or less serious problems on millions of different system configurations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.