Stable antivirus?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by stratoc, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stratoc

stratoc Guest

Is there such a thing these days? I actually have licenses for the following: Eset, many gui issues and now error connecting with kernal (turns itself off!)
    Avast! I am getting lock up when the engine starts and it borked outlook 2010.
    Dr Web, big performance hit and unistalls like a dog.
    Kaspersky, windows was not shut down properly too much input needed to get all my games running well.
    Norton, icons keeps multiplying, deletes clean files without asking.
    I just did a clean install of windows 7 64 bit and installed MSE which has filed action center with mp telemetry performance counters, which apparently I am meant to click to improve their program lol at least norton does this on it's own.
    What would you guys recomend as a light program that I can set forget and not get random issues each and every day?
    I don't mind paying to protect my pc, but don't like paying for alpha/ beta junk I cannot trust
    cheers.

2. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I agree. avast! killed my daughters x64 Vista, so I uninstalled it on her machine as well as my wife's x64 W7 machine then I installed Panda Cloud, and so far so good.

3. stratoc

stratoc Guest

Never tried Panda may give it a look. By the way there is now a patch for Avast! http://public.avast.com/~rypacek/patches/#ap20120403001 I have not tried it since I reinstalled windows, which was mainly due to me failing to resolve office, mainly outlook search errors which seem to have been caused by re routing some ownership permissions.
    Avast! do seem to work on errors quite quickly I suppose.
    It's just once bitten twice shy for me sometimes.

4. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Webroot SecureAnywhere is very light and seems to be generally well received by users so it might be worth trying. It's been intentionally designed to co-operate with other security software in order to minimise the risk of conflict. As to whether it would cause any issues on your system - it's unlikely but there's only one way to find out for sure.

5. stratoc

stratoc Guest

Is it basically a rebadged prevx? I did like prevx, is it enough in it's own? or is it meant as a compliament to traditional antivirus?
    Btw thanks for the replies.
    Also, I was going to give it a look a while back but read about many false positives?

6. pegr

pegr Registered Member

It's basically Prevx 4 with added Webroot features. It is enough on its own but it can also be used as a complement to a traditional antivirus. I am using it on its own as I prefer to have only one layer of each type.

Even though there shouldn't be any issues running WSA alongside a traditional antivirus, there would still be a considerable overlap in protection. It might be more effective to supplement WSA with an additional layer of a different type - HIPS/policy restriction or sandboxing/virtualisation software for example.

WSA was very favourably reviewed by PC Mag here: -

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393678,00.asp
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393918,00.asp

If you try WSA and like it then, unless you particularly want the extra features of WSA Complete or only want WSA Antivirus, WSA Essentials probably represents the best balance between price and features. Essentials is the nearest equivalent to Prevx 3 with SafeOnline. If you do decide to buy it, don't buy it from the Webroot website. You can get a better deal by shopping around online.

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I use Emsisoft Anti Malware as my anti-virus on Windows 7 64 bit.

It runs very well for me.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I find that hard to believe without some other factor being a reason for your problems. avast! doesn't just kill systems on its own.

9. silat

silat Registered Member

I am currently using emisoft antimalware. It seems to be working well. Tried Panda but it wouldnt give me an icon in the system tray.

10. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Thank you all for you comments. Closing as per TOS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.