SSD questions.... please post your own experience

Discussion in 'hardware' started by aigle, Sep 27, 2015.

1. anon

anon Registered Member

A Windows10-compatible version of Samsung Magician not released yet......
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/samsung-magician.377561/#post-2532729

2. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

I use SoftPerfect RAM Disk. It is easy to configure volatile (= no browser temp files saved upon reboot) RAM disk.

With SSD you will not notice any speed increase in browsing. The RAM disk just adds to SSD longevity and system security.

3. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

No. Browsers already use RAM for caching in addition to storage. The only thing you will do here is slow your browser by killing cache persistence. You also are using an SSD, which a RAMdisk won't perceptibly speed up.

It works on mine (no Rapid-whatever functionality yet; it is disabled)

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I use it that way, but use Sandboxie so that ALL disk activity is redirected to Ramdisk. I don't see any speed difference using Ramdisk or SSD, but privacy wise it is IMO better to write to Ramdisk instead of SSD.

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Wow, let's hope this is true.

6. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Yes, it is the mean of my question. :thumb:

7. blacknight

Yes, but My idea - as I read on the web - is to move all the browsers cache to the RAM, to avoid his write on the SSD.

8. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

A browser's stored cache is for speed.

An SSD is for speed.

You want to forfeit these to get, what, another month's longevity out of an SSD that will probably outlive its usefulness anyway? You don't have to horde SSD write cycles. You bought the thing...use it to maximum effect!

9. blacknight

Agree, thank you. It was especially to learn about SSD. And anyway I too believe that probably I'll change my pc before SSD. :thumb:

10. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i can't find anymore mydefrag homepage , is it gone ?

11. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Yes, it's gone for good.

12. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

13. mantra

mantra Registered Member

14. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

I agree; the discussions and peer-made scripts were handy. However, with decreasing cost/GB, SSDs make it moot.

15. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I just bought a pair of Crucial BX100 drives for RAID 0 in my laptop. They seem good and the price was great. They replace a pair of Mushkin Callistos, which felt faster but died immediately after the warranty. Paid more than double for those. Wouldn't buy those again due to the short life. Prices have come way down. The pair of Intels I have in my desktop are amazingly fast and have held up well, but those were not cheap. Worth the money though. I wanted to do Intel for the laptop but the Crucial drives were to cheap to pass up.

16. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

Were you still able to read from them after death?

17. xxJackxx

Nope. The machine didn't even recognize a drive was plugged in. Went from working to completely dead in a single reboot.

18. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

Ouch. Odd. If you still have it, I would try the firmware update utility to see if that sees it and can flash it. If that doesn't work, I would still reach out to Mushkin support to see if they have any ideas or if there are known issues--Crucial had one where the drive would stop working after a certain number of hours but a firmware update fixed it.

19. xxJackxx

I'm not expecting much as it just seems totally dead. I found out several months after buying a pair of them they they seem to have near a 100% failure rate. The average Newegg rating for the drive is 1. Their support has always been good, but as it is out of warranty I'm not expecting much though I guess it couldn't hurt to ask them.

20. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    but the mydefrag homepage was full of an impressive number of command line and help that let mydefrag do almost everything , and the forum was great
    is all gone ?
    in the guide there is really only a part of ot it
    at least he could leave the webpage help ,and the forum closed (read only)

21. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I wouldn't doubt it. From the data I see on my Samsung Magician it looks like my 850 Pro could last a lifetime. I think there was a big improvement between the 840 & 850 lines. All the problems I've heard come to think of it regarded the 840's. And there were reports of problems with the regular 850's but not about the lifespans. I would go no lower than the 850 Pro's for regular SSD's. And for the mSATA's 850 EVO.

22. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

The one I can actually answer at this point:

For an older laptop, I'm guessing yes. I've gotten very good results with PATA to SD card adapters in old single-core laptops. However the main appeal of those is that they're cheap, which an SSD is not.

OTOH, I found a Kingston SSDNow to not be that helpful for responsiveness on a 2007 era laptop. Programs started up faster, but run performance was about the same.

(Not sure why; even 1.5 Gbps SATA should not get its bandwidth saturated by an SSD, and the machine was not spectacularly fast to begin with. Maybe something to do with write speeds on slower SSDs.)

23. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I read that a trim command is used for an SSD to free unused space that has been written to. I often reinstall my OS and format the partition. Does formatting optimize the SSD back to its original state or is trimming still needed afterwards?

24. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Any good if not all SSD drives have software that offers manual operation for optimizing performance. Trim is automatically performed in Windows 8 and higher. Therefore with Samsung the manual operation is inaccessible under Windows 8+. Windows 7 also supports Trim natively, but you have to make sure that It becomes activated with the SSD software installation. To check to see if it is activated, use the following command;

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify​

DisableDeleteNotify = 0: This indicates that TRIM is enabled and working on the operating system.

DisableDeleteNotify = 1: This means that TRIM is not enabled, and that SSDs will therefore not benefit from it.

... I personally wouldn't often reinstall Windows OS on SSD, or even often format SSD partitions. ;p

Samsung – Trim. Samsung SSD White Paper - http://www.samsung.com/global/busin.../SSD/global/html/whitepaper/whitepaper04.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2016
  25. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

I thought a SSDs own firmware does its own TRIM operation whether the OS supports it or not?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.