SSD do you use over provisioning ? how much Gb do you dedicate it?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by mantra, Jul 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crawfish

crawfish Registered Member

My understanding is that if TRIM is working, free space is overprovisioning space. If you're writing to the same sectors over and over again and TRIM is not being issued, garbage collection and/or periodic manual TRIM (possibly due to scheduled defrag in Windows) has the burden of maintaining performance. It doesn't matter if the free space is set aside as unpartitioned space or possibly interspersed with data as TRIM'd blocks.

BTW, the defragger in Windows 8 is truly stupid. For hard drives, I noticed that it will try to endlessly consolidate free space on fully defragmented hard drives. More on that here.

2. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

@TheRollbackFrog, thank you for your detailed responses definitely confirmed a thing or two of my own understanding :thumb:

@mantra, i also optimized with Magician, but it is nothing that you cant do manually. http://www.maketecheasier.com/12-things-you-must-do-when-running-a-solid-state-drive-in-windows-7/

Magician in my experience does a great job in optimizing windows 7 for use of SSD and have encountered zero bugs.

Once optimized and most importantly TRIM enabled, there is no reason to keep Magician installed. You can uninstall it all settings will remain unless that is you enable Rapid Mode. Magician needs to be installed for rapid mode to function. I install Magician every half year just to check health etc and to also manually run optimization, i then uninstall.

regards

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    about the link , there is a stupid advice about removing the page file
    about optimaze i refer about drive optimaze , not operation system optimaze

4. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

I didnt pay much attention to that either. You can disable it to limit excess writes to the drive, but most people just leave the default page file in place. Its probably more relevant to the very first generation drives anyway.

5. polocanada

polocanada Registered Member

Same goes for OWC SSD drives for Macbooks. They all have OP for many years and they were one of the first who even used factory set OP. I remember when I purchased my first Samsung SSD (I paid about $1000) about 6 years ago there was no OP and no Trim! Win XP and Win7 didn't have SSD support either. Big mistake. The drive became slow like snail after 1 year of use, total garbage because there is not an easy way to fix those older Samsung SSD drives (no tools prvided like Intel did). Toshiba was even worse in that aspect. I should have bought OWC, they did have trimming at that time, managed on the SSD, without OS assistance.

While Samsung did clean up their act, the fact they don't set OP by default irritates me and would rather make me ask how good their SSDs are. No need for any Magician software with OWC SSD drives. They just work, same as Apple products.
    Cheers.

6. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

I optimize probably once a month. I have not noticed anything being buggy. I am on 4.4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.