SRWare Iron

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by minacross, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minacross

minacross Registered Member

2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Yes it is, the last article you linked gives a good run down.

Portable version works well. 10 x :thumb:

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I use it as my second browser... :)

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I find myself using it more and more to surf the web and get to my favorite pages. That's because it is so fast. But it's not very configurable and has few options. This seems like just an extremely fast but basic browser. But I am finding that suits about 75% of my internet needs.

5. its way better then chrome truly private i use as second browser but i find myself using it more and more

6. minacross

does it handle hotmail pages correctly?

7. acr1965

Craziest thing I ever seen. SRiron locked up browsing my Live pages- some java script error I think. Could not do anything with it. I then decide to leave it locked up and started IE7- came to Wilders to make a post about it locking up. Now SRiron is IE with the same page I was on in Live.com. So now I have two instances of IE open and no SRiron.

8. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I've had problems with all browsers. Iron has locked up on one page that used javascript.

Opera doesn't allow my gmail 'compose mail' to have paragraph spacing, bunches all the text together which makes me look like I've just finished grade 1 and like writing in one big paragraph block!

Off-topic. acr1965, if you have to use IE for certain sites, I came across an old portable version of 'crazy browser' which is just an interface for IE, but much better to use than IE. The download link (from portablefreeware) has a portable version already, so ignore the instructions to extract any files.

Works perfectly with all my web content software for work which requires only IE to login. Any bookmarks added between the two, apply to both. Using this sandboxed, so far so good. Fast browser. :thumb:

The middle-mouse-click opens new pages and closes tabs. Each tab also gives you an idea when a page will load by its small 'loading status' block in each tab. What I like most is the middle-mouse-click while viewing a page switches it between normal mode and full screen mode (with tabs at top of screen). See images - normal - and full screen.

Attached Files:

9. acr1965

will check it out, thanks

10. minacross

me too :( o_O

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i used both iron and chrome. iron had more issues than chrome. it didnt work right with hotmail but chrome does. iron didntr work with yahoo mail all the time either but chrome does.

you can very easily make chrome just as secure as iron and just use chrome..

when you first install chrome there are a few things to clean up. first go to the scheduled tasks remove the google updater task (i delete it but you can disable it or leave it if you use other google stuff)

remove the googleupdate.exe from the startup

how go to your users folder and then to the name of the user on the computer, appdata, local, google find chrome then user data.

now open the local state file and look for the user id. remove that but leave the quotes. now save it. change it to a read only. but google is tricky it will make another. do the same to this new one apply as read only.

your preferences should look similar to this depending on your options you picked.

{
    "alternate_error_pages": {
    "enabled": false
    },
    "bookmark_bar": {
    "show_on_all_tabs": true
    },
    "browser": {
    "show_home_button": true
    },
    "default_search_provider": {
    "id": "2",
    "name": "Google",
    "search_url": "{google:baseURL}search?{google:RLZ}{google:acceptedSuggestion}{google:eek:riginalQueryForSuggestion}sourceid=chrome&ie={inputEncoding}&q={searchTerms}",
    ""
    },
    "dns_prefetching": {
    },
    "download": {
    "default_directory": "",
    "directory_upgrade": true,
    "extensions_to_open": ""
    },
    "geoid_at_install": 244,
    "homepage": "",
    "homepage_is_newtabpage": false,
    "profile": {
    "exited_cleanly": false,
    "id": "not-signed-in",
    "name": "",
    "nickname": "",
    "password_manager_enabled": false
    },
    "safebrowsing": {
    },
    "search": {
    "suggest_enabled": false
    },
    "session": {
    "urls_to_restore_on_startup": [ ]
    }

12. zfactor

i find chrome to be faster and much more stable and it works with hotmail, live mail and yahoo perfectly here. oh and install the java plugin ver 6 update 10 this one works with chrome perfectly and no more java issues

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Do you know how set a cache limit?

14. zfactor

ill look at the files more and see if there is a way to do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.