SrWare Iron 7.0.520.0

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rules, Oct 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

If I remember correctly with the last release I had some problems like that. Eventually I set it to the speed dial though.

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I remember IE 6, it wasn't bad for Internet Exploder! ;)

3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well I found the problem, looks like someone is trying to be sneeky here;

http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5687770iron-hardcoded_redirect.jpg

What a pain, messing with this for a day trying to figure out why I couldn't get it to load my home page I wanted.

There's no excuse to do something like this to the end-user, makes them feel like you're trying to force something on them.

Also the developer talks about Google being evil yet he seems to not be bothered with having Google ads on their home page;

http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7297991start-iron2.jpg

And then this SRWare Start Page, of all things, I saw it come up once with a Chrome ad, now talk about the frosting on the cake, LMAO...

http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7817821start-iron.jpg

If I had such a hate for Google and Chrome and I was developing this program you could be sure of one thing, I wouldn't deal with anyone, or anything that placed Google anywhere and I certainly wouldn't be trying to pull a sneeky by trying to lock an end-user into the start-page.

Yeah sure, you can't control what ads you have running on a site with certain companies, but you can certainly check with them out there and find ones that don't place banner ads too, so you can avoid this and not send a mixed message to people that looks wrong in their eyes, having you say one thing and then see another for yourself!

Sure this is all small stuff and I'm sure they were all harmless mistakes, but regardless, when you come off calling Google evil and you make this project to be an improvement based on making better trust and security, well to me, seeing even these small things shows some sort of lack in this and it needs to be fixed, because no matter how small or big, it's even the small things that can make a difference.

I feel like there's a double standard going on and it doesn't look right and this is all really wacko too... o_O

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  4. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

I changed the home page simply doing this

Attached Files:

5. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Hey There Champ

It seems DasFox experienced this -

shortcut issue.jpg

....that we didn't. Maybe sandboxie was preventing that from being changedo_O I just rechecked my shortcut and i don't have that string at the end.

6. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

tobacco even i have that in my shortcut but i changed the option as shown in the picture and now google opens up when i start srware

7. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Strange, i don't .....

Attached Files:

8. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well I had that shortcut and none of the options would over ride it.

I just see a double standard here, a developer complaining about the evils of Google, then having Google ads on their site and making this little shortcut trying to lock the unsuspecting newbies into their home page...

Who's really more evil, when you stop to think about it, because so far the developer of Iron isn't showing himself so trust worthy by actions and words that I can see and I don't just mean by only the shortcut, but mainly spouting off about Google and then having all sorts of Google ads/banners run on their sites...

So it also really makes me wonder if someone like this might even go so far as to put something in the source you'll never know for their own agenda...

Hey it might all be appear to be small stuff, but really, it's also the small stuff that counts too. After all if you're going to do something behind someone's back are you going to be big and loud about it...

Anyhow, hopefully it's all a mistake meant for no harm and again I'm talking about everything I've seen over this Iron project, not just the shortcut... ;)

9. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Google Chrome version 7 has less control over cookies than previous versions as indicated here. It looks like Iron has the same issue.

11. Eice

Eice Registered Member

He has been explaining his point for the last few posts. If you disagree with his opinion, show him that his arguments are wrong instead of trying to assert that he hasn't explained his point or backed them up.

12. vtol

vtol Registered Member

the SRware domain as well as the forced iron-start.com, as well as the forced chrome-plugins.info and chrome-themes.info featuring Google AdSense, BinLayer and AdScale with respective cookies to track users. The Iron build-in adblocker is curiously circumvented by the JavaScript Ad displayed on the Iron forums.

Chrome presents a choice of search engines to be used as default during the installation, Iron just sets it for the user during the installation.

The Iron forum is moderated/censored in a way that entries related to the subject are not even published but blocked, preventing an open discussion.

the whole thing smells like a good Ad revenue skimmed from users scared of Google Chrome, yet using the same strategy...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  13. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

That's serious stuff! It would be interesting to hear SRWare's viewpoint on this.

As for the startup page problem: Setting Iron to open about:blank on startup does the trick.

14. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

Read the links I posted in the second post of this thread.

Developing a so called privacy oriented browser that played on the paranoia of the general public for ad revenue was their prerogative all along.

15. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well why don't you just do little research next time before posting. It's a fact the developer was quoted as saying that Google is Evil and the German people don't trust Google. Ok COOL I'm with you on it too I'll tell them, I'm not one for trusting Google much either. BUT then do you think if I'm going to say these things and then I'm going to then run Google Ads on my site or allow Google banners on it too? Hell no, that makes no sense to say one thing and do another, talk about a double standard and sending some really mixed messages to people.

So see it now? It's not complicated about this project, what their intentions were in the beginning what they were saying the reasons are for it.

So now I say stick by your guns and don't be running Google Adsense and supporting this evil you call it! o_O

Yep as Reimer calls it too...

And now with all this Google ad supporting and playing off of people it makes me wonder do I really trust using Iron or is it better to use Google.

See to me as a geek, no matter how big or small of a sneaky you try to pull it makes me wonder are you going to pull something else later, or have you already and how safe is that code I'm using that you just hacked and possibly put your own little sneaky in there too...

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I like Iron. It's VERY fast. I had no problem whatsoever with setting home page. Nor did my granddaughter (age 11) -- but then she isn't a professing IT so maybe her computer feels sorry for her and does things for her that it wouldn't do for others. ;)

17. subset

subset Registered Member

Some time ago I wanted to try this browser, but I recognized that the installer and the executables were not digitally signed.
    I read in their German forums, that they don't have enough money to sign their files.
    A bit amateurish and careless for browser business.

Cheers

18. vtol

vtol Registered Member

true, so are others

the guy who forks Iron from the Chromium branch admitted that he coded his specific start page into the shortcut and thus preventing to set another start page from within Iron. If you and your granddaughter figured that then both of you are more IT savvy than the average users, some of which struggled. Or maybe you just got a download without that coding, since SRW realized at some point that thing not being a good idea and took the code off

19. vtol

vtol Registered Member

he is not discussing it, he is just censoring his forum accordingly

the start page iron-start.com was coded into the Iron shortcut, as shown here in various screen shots, and thus deliberately overriding anything set within the browsers preferences

20. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

That's because you guys got the setup exe without the link made in the shortcut and I did, there's a difference. ;)

IT savvy has nothing to do with it. I'm technical enough and know how to do my job.

It's just that this is not your typical behavior for software developers to do this sort of thing so I never thought to look there that's all. Had I stopped to think about the credibility of the developers, or any indication to think they would do such a thing I would of considered it.

Anyhow it might of been an honest mistake on the part of the developers who knows, but the truth is, they still bashed Google, now they show support for Google, so this doesn't make it look good...

The way I see it right now, we might be better off using Chromium and I did say 'CHROMIUM' not Chrome. ;)

21. vtol

vtol Registered Member

doubting that, as coding chrome-plugins.info and chrome-themes.info into the browser is somewhat contradicting. each site running AdSense and BinLayer, whilst hosting only stuff to be found on chrome.google.com/extensions, latter even free of ad-click cookies, unless you consider G Analytics as such.

also chrome-plugins.info does not host a single extension related to adblocking, such as Ghostery or Adblock or NotScripts, somehow interesting if you claim to care for privacy from the big evil

22. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

23. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

:blink:

24. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I like Chromium, as does my granddaughter. But they update it multiple times daily, & I do not enjoy changing horses quite THAT often.

Suggestions would be appreciated. Which Chromium build/snapshot to use? How often to change?

25. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

If it ain't broke, why fix it? How's that sound...

No need to change unless there's a problem.

As long as it's secure, then the latest typically is just bells and whistles or bleeding edge, that most don't need...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.