SpywareGuard uninstalled & still ~DF tmp files

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by NeroNine, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeroNine

NeroNine Registered Member

I have uninstalled Spyware Guard at least twice now. The last time I re-installed over the old installation, and 'exited' before initiating the uninstall process. It seems to be uninstalled, but I am still getting ~DFxxxx.tmp files every day. How can I turn off whatever it is that is generating them ?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The first thing you need to check is that SpywareGuard is definitely uninstalled...

SpywareGuard has two processes visible in the task manager when it's installed and running: sgmain & sgbhp. If you have the task manager set to show all processes, and these two are not there, then it's definitely not active.

Check the install directory to see if the programs or any of the files are there, also.

This thread has some useful information:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=13029

The second page has a post by Javacool regarding a registry key related to SpywareGuard, which can cause problems with uninstalling.

If the processes and files are all gone, and SpywareGuard is no longer installed or active, then the tmp files must be coming from something else. SpywareGuard is not the only program that creates these files.

3. NeroNine

Neither sgmain nor the sg process are visible on the Task Manager list of processes. I deleted the folders that contained the SpywareGuard software. I scanned the registry for "SpywareGuard" and turned up a few references to sgmain.exe & sgliveupdate.exe, but those executables are no longer there. Any other 'hook' ideas ?

4. NeroNine

o and i checked out the javacool post, but could not find that key in my registry. Do I need to be admin to look for it ? And what other programs generate ~DFxxxx.tmp files ?

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hmm, if you don't have admin access, you may not be able to see everything necessary. Can you get admin access? And, in task manager, make sure you have it set to show process of all users.

Anyway, if the executibles are definitely gone, then the registry keys pointing to them shouldn't be a problem. If you are comfortable in the registry, you could delete those, if you want. I'm not sure if you need to be admin to view the registry key mentioned in the other thread.

Lots of them:

http://www.google.com/search?q=windows ~DF tmp files

From that google search...

Comodo: http://www.technologyquestions.com/...ttings-administrator-local-settings-temp.html

Some Microsoft products: http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-xp/27406-what-they-df-tmp-files.html

6. NeroNine

OK, I signed in as admin and could not find the key mentioned in the javacool post. Did find some other ShellExecuteHooks key but it did not have a SpywareGuard value.

Pretty sure neither sgmain nor sgbhp is running, although I don't know how to tell the Task Manager to see processes from "all users".

Lastly, yikes! I had know idea so many other programs would use the same ~DFxxxx.tmp filenaming convention. Knowledge has been imparted. I will presume that SpywareGuard is uninstalled and that the tmp files I get everyday are created out of some other process. Thanks for taking the time to help.

On another topic, I am thinking about moving up to IE8. I am running Win/Xp with Service Pack 3 installed. I have read that going back to IE7 is a major pain if I am unhappy with IE8. I have uninstalled SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster so as to minimize potential conflicts. Are you aware of any other trap doors I might have overlooked (in regards to the Javacool Software) ?

7. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Internet Explorer 8 is, generally, a smooth upgrade on Windows XP. There was a minor bug in the initial IE 8 public release related to Restricted Sites (which many programs, including SpywareBlaster and Spybot S&D, utilize for security purposes), but the latest "cumulative update" for IE8 (available through Windows Update) fixes it. :)

SpywareBlaster is fully tested and 100% compatible with IE8. You don't have to uninstall SpywareBlaster prior to upgrading IE and reinstall it afterwards (although it's obviously not a problem if you want to do so).

Best regards,

-Javacool

8. NeroNine

Thanks again. You guys are golden.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.