SpywareGuard Issue?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Suzuko, Mar 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suzuko

Suzuko Registered Member

Last week, on the advice of a friend, I installed SpywareGuard and let it quarantine all traces of PalTalk. Later, I chose to Restore PalTalk. I've been using PalTalk for years on a Windows 2000 machine, without any problems.

Now, PalTalk starts and logs me in, but that's as far as I can go. Upon clicking the Groups icon, the following message pops up: "Paltalk.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created."

Now I realize this isn't a support forum for PalTalk issues, but I can't get to the PalTalk Help group to straighten it out, because I can't even look at the PalTalk Groups list.

I tried reinstalling PalTalk, but nothing changed, so I uninstalled it, restarted the computer, and then downloaded and installed the newest version. And the same error message still happens.

Is SpywareGuard causing this? If so, is there a solution - short of uninstalling SpywareGuard - that will enable me to use PalTalk again?

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Suzuko,

I think you are confusing programs here.
    SpywareGuard is a real time protection against spyware, not a on demand scanner, neither does it give you the option to quarantaine something.

Regards,

Pieter

3. Suzuko

Suzuko Registered Member

Of course! Now I am thoroughly embarrassed. I meant to say "SpySweeper".... I am not even in the proper forum!

4. Pieter_Arntz

Correct forum now. ;)

The items that SpySweeper quarantained can be restored, right?
    Have you tried that?

Regards,

Pieter

5. Suzuko

Suzuko Registered Member

Thanks!

As I mentioned in the original post, I did "restore" PalTalk. SpySweeper allows that. It was after restoring it that the trouble began.

I got confused because I didn't try to use PalTalk after this until I had installed SpywareGuard. That's why I asked if it could be SpywareGuard causing the trouble. It's supposed to keep Spyware from running, isn't it?

It's even more confusing to me now because of SpywareBlaster, because I don't know how that is different from SpywareGuard.

6. Pieter_Arntz

Both SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster do not block PalTalk as far as I know.

Both can be tested easily, but I will need to know what you are using.

This is SpywareGuard: http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareguard.html which show up as SG in your systray if it is running.

SpywareBlaster is described here: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html and does not need to be running to protect you. It looks like this:
    [​IMG]

That shows how to remove the protection completely if you want to test that.

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.