SpywareGuard error won't let me into control panel etc

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by ana, Jan 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ana

ana Guest

please help :

yesterday i installed SpywareGuard and today when i started up my computer i got this error:

Error Reading SpywareGuard Defenitions!

The file may be corrupt, or another program may have tampered with them.

Run LiveUpdate to download the latest SpywareGuard definitions.

This message will appear when you try to start covered file types unless you disable protection in the SpywareGuard control panel

and then when i tried to go into this computer's control panel to remove the program, it gave me same error. when i try to run liveupdate like it says it gives same error, when i try to just start the program it gives same error. when i try to run aim it gives this error. i'm scared ... it won't let me erase the program!

this computer is running windows xp and another program i dl yesterday after spyware is spysweeper, but i made sure spysweeper had not erased any spywareguard files-

and i tried removing spywareguard from startup and still have this problem. someone please help me.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi ana,

Take a look at this thread and see if it fully describes your situation.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=13029

In the last two posts on page 2 of that thread is a possible solution. Javacool explains that SpywareGuard is activated in this situation by a hook that needs to be disabled and says what registry key needs to be deleted. The last post shows how to make a .REG file to remove just that hook automatically. (In fact, there is a download link for that file so you don't need to create it yourself.)

Caution is suggested when working with the registry. Making a backup prior to making any changes is recommended.

If you've already removed SpywareGuard's startup folder entry, then make the registry update (either yourself in regedit, or using the file provided), then reboot your system. Then try to deinstall SpywareGuard if an entry still exists for it. If no uninstall is available, then you can probably delete the SpywareGuard folder.

Javacool may have additional steps to cleanup any remaining pieces.

3. ana

ana Guest

thanks for answering,

but before i try this with the registry , what is it i should backup? everything on the computer? for some reason i can't even t hink of how to do that now.

4. LowWaterMark

I'm actually talking about just backing up the registry. But, since you are running Windows XP, you could simply make a restore point in System Restore before do this. If anything goes wrong, you can use System Restore to go back to the point before the change.

I'm hoping the current error condition won't prevent you from making a restore point. A restore point can be made via > Start menu > Help & Support > System Restore button (top of Help window) > Create a restore point....

If you can't make a restore point let us know.

5. ana

ana Guest

it won't let me into help and support , also tried searching for the system restore and when i clicked it it would show the error again.

is there a way to just backup the registry?

and thank you again for helping! this isn't my computer, which is why i am so worried. i just want to make sure i don't screw up the computer more when removing the registry key.

6. LowWaterMark

You can do it manually in Regedit (Start menu > Run... > regedit > OK)...

Once regedit is open, make sure "My Computer" is highlighted at the top of the left panel. Then use the "File" menu and choose "Export...". Give it a filename and hit OK. Then exit regedit.

You can then run the reg file that you can download from that other post (noted above). It only removes the one key from Explorer that actually activates SpywareGuard. You then reboot and SpywareGuard's hook should be gone and Explorer and other functions hopefully will be back to normal.

7. ana

ana Guest

i backed the files up,

the removing the hook worked perfectly ! thank you !
    problem is gone and i was able to go into control panel and uninstall the program, and all the other programs on the computer are opening normally again.

thank you again for all your help !

-ana

8. LowWaterMark

I'm glad we could help you get it fixed. Sorry you had so much trouble.

Best Wishes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.