SpywareGuard doesn't seem to do anything!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by QuasiMojo, Mar 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuasiMojo

QuasiMojo Registered Member

On my machine, anyway. I'm running W2K.

I just ran Ad-aware and found 31 pieces of spyware. How can this be if SpywareGuard has been running since the last time I ran Ad-aware? I wouldn't expect Ad-aware to be still detecting so much spycrap.

Is it possible I missed something in getting SpywareGuard to start doing its thing?

2. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

That is a good question, I was wondering that myself!

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Most of the pieces of spyware that Ad-Aware found were probably cookies - small text files stored by websites you browse.

Cookies can have good uses too - such as storing your login information for sites and forums (like this one).

SpywareGuard does not deal with cookies in its current version.

On the other hand, if you don't have SpywareBlaster, I would recommend you get it. It uses different protection methods that cover areas SpywareGuard doesn't. The two programs work well together.

Best regards,

-Javacool

4. QuasiMojo

I usually like my java hot

but you are cool, Javacool.

Does SpywareGuard keep track of what it has done so users could get feedback to reassure them it's working? My "Reports" button ALWAYS says "<No log file found>" when I check it. That makes me think nothing's happening.

5. Beth

Beth Guest

I am very confused. I do have Spyware Blaster and it seems to be blocking the majority of the spycrap that I was getting. However, one animal seems to continue to get through even though it is checked for protection. It is Comet Cursors. Please tell me how this can be fixed. Even as I was typing this I received 4 pop-up ads.
    Thx!

6. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

I do have both spyware guard and blaster, yet every time I run ad-aware it finds stuff.

7. javacool

What is it finding? (i.e. Could you post a log/report?)

There is no 100% protection method, but I would hope, at least, that SpywareBlaster/Guard are helping to reduce what you are getting by a good percentage.

Best regards,

-Javacool

8. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Mostly just cookies of some sort or another, but next time I scan and find stuff I will post the log here.

9. javacool

Thanks!

I'd be happy to take a look and add any new baddies to SpywareBlaster's protection. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

10. QuasiMojo

Javacool, my Log File is always empty!

How can SpywareGuard be working if the logfile never shows anything?

11. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

There will only be something in your logfile if SG catches a baddie in action..... So nothing in your logfile is a good thing ;) ....

HTH....

Regards,
    Kent

12. Beth

Beth Guest

Thanks a lot for your responses. I actually have Ad-aware & Spybot and I just ran both. Spybot found a Comet Cursor Registry Key & Ad-Aware found three cookies & the same Reg key.

Don't get me wrong, I am extremely impressed with the results thus far and am very grateful for this program- I was just curious about the Comet Cursor thing since it appears to be blocked?!?

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.