SpywareBlaster

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Derek, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek

Derek Registered Member

I recently downloaded SpywareBlaster.

When getting SpywareBlaster Updates my Kerio firewall came up with TCP (Out) Port 80, without which it was unable to update. That seemed reasonable so I agreed a rule to allow it.

Kerio then reported SpywareBlaster.exe UDP (Out) involving real.com images to 127.0.0.1 (I use a hosts file - read only). I opted for a rule denying it and got the updates fine.

Can anyone explain please why SpywareBlaster was apparently having comms with real.com? I assume SpywareBlaster doesn't do things it shouldn't....

Derek

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hmm, let's clarify this a bit. Your firewall asked about allowing SpywareBlaster to access the IP address "127.0.0.1" on some UDP port right? That is normal for the way SpywareBlaster works. 127.0.0.1 is not real.com, it's your local machine (also called 'localhost'). Loopback connections are often used in network-aware programs.

Here is a thread that describes the settings SpywareBlaster would generally use in a software firewall:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=11165

What makes you think real.com has something to do with this?

Also, from your Hosts file, what's the first non-comment line in it?

3. Derek

Derek Registered Member

LowWaterMark

Yep I understand about hosts and 127.0.0.1

The reason I linked this with real.com is because this was contained in the Kerio warning that flashed up.

I think you are onto something because my first non-comment entry in hosts is images.real.com

Hope you can explain this, sorry if I'm a bit dozy.

Derek

4. LowWaterMark

Yes, the first entry in the Hosts file will be associated with any text references (host name) for the local machine name. The first line in a Hosts file is strongly recommended to be:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Also, the image below shows the standard access sequence of SpywareBlaster's updater (when no updates are available). FYI - This log should be read bottom to top to show true sequence of events.

- Edit: Reduced image width!

Attached Files:

5. Derek

Derek Registered Member

Thanks a lot, I get the idea now.

I'll pop localhost in as first entry in hosts, which will also save a lot of confusion if I get any sort of reaction with SpywareBlaster or any other similar program.

You've put my mind to rest :)

Derek

6. LowWaterMark

Glad to be of help. :cool:

Best Wishes,
    LowWaterMark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.