SpywareBlaster, Vista, Old problem

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Red Dawn, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Dawn

Red Dawn Registered Member

Recently I had to reformat my hd and I re-installed Vista Home PRE. Now I have run into the "mscomctl.ocx" issue, where the app will not run. Didn't have the issue before the reformat, so, I do have the file in it's correct place, tried to regsrv the file to make sure that wasn't the issue. Still no go. I have searched the forums and find only to do what I've done already, so is this an issue with the program, as again, it was working before my format, same OS, is there a workaround? By chance, anyone know what version the file should be. One I have is labeled: 6.0.88.62 with a date of 5-22-2000. I tried to install the executable on Javacool's website that installs this file, but it's the same version, is it I have an older version of the file? i'd like to get this working. Thank you.

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Did you try doing this from an elevated (Run as Administrator) command prompt window?

Even on an administrator account on Vista, running this from the start menu or a regular command prompt window will not provide full administrator privileges (because of UAC). It's necessary to find the "Command Prompt" link in your Start Menu, right click on it, choose "Run as Administrator", and then enter the regsrv command from there.

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. Red Dawn

I did as you stated, right click command prompt, "run as admin", typed:
    regsrv32 mscomctl.ocx and hit enter, say's it was registered correctly, tried to open up spyware blaster, same problem, same error. o_O

4. javacool

Hi,

Could you please post a screenshot of the error message?

Thanks! :)

EDIT: I should also note: the version you mentioned (6.0.88.62) is a very old version of the file, which may be part of the problem.

Best regards,

-Javacool

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  5. Red Dawn

Hi, thanks again for the reply, screeshot added. As to the file version, it's a fresh install of Vista HOME PRE, 32bit, so I'm not sure if that is the version that comes with it, since I've only installed the OS a few days ago, week actually. If it's old, I tried to google the most up to date version for vista, but can't find it, would you know what the latest version for vista should be? Thanks again.

Attached Files:

6. javacool

Hi,

The latest version of MSCOMCTL.OCX is available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...98-51D0-41C1-BB14-64662F5F62FE&displaylang=en

After installing, please verify (with a search) that all versions of MSCOMCTL.OCX on your computer are of a more recent revision (at least 6.1.xx.xx). If any are older, please let me know where the files are located. Then reboot, and please let me know if it resolves the issue.

One way or another, we'll figure out what's causing this problem. :)

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

7. Red Dawn

Some funny things happened. First I downloaded the file via the link you posted. Ran it, and then checked the version of mscomctl.ocx. Was the same version. So then I deleted the file, ran the installer again, checked under system32 folder, and noticed nothing there, ran the installer as administrator, right-click the file, choose run as admin, but nothing ever was installed, no mscomctl.ocx I then went to a ghost backup I had of my laptop before I did a reformt, copied over the mscomctl.ocx file, and checked the version, was 6.1, so I rebooted, ran with admin rights as you suggested via command prompt, regsvr32 for mscomctl.ocx, said it was registered correctly, and tried to run spywareblaster, get the same error, o_O I'm not sure what gives here, as the file is now updated, though again, via a ghost backup, since the installer never installed the file. Thanks for the help on this, can't really understand what is making the program not run if the mscomctl.ocx file is there, registered and now newer then before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.