Spywareblaster update failures

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by rmdcmd, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmdcmd

rmdcmd Registered Member

I'm new to the forum and hope this is the right place to enter my question. I have a supscription to Spywareblaster and the updates are downloaded automatically. Ever since installing the Windows XP Pro SP2 pack, I no longer can get the latest updates. Can anyone tell me the steps to take to correct this? (I also have Norton anti-virus installed). Thanks. rmdcmd

2. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi rmdcmd :)
    And welcome to the Wilder's community. Unfortunately you have posted in the wrong section of the forum but not to worry as one of the mods will move it shortly

Regards

3. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Thanks NICK. ;)

Hi rmdcmd, and welcome to Wilders.

I've moved your thread from the Updates Forum and into Javacool's forum.

As for the problems with updating SpywareBlaster and you're suspicion that it might be because of SP2; Javacool has tested SpywareBlaster with XP-SP2 successfully, so there may be something else that is causing the problem.

Since you are using Nortons antivirus, you might find some of the suggestions in the link below where other's were also using NIS and having some problems updating SpywareBlaster:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=41126

If none of the suggestions from that thread work, then can you try updating SpywareBlaster manually. In the link below, scroll down until you see the title: "I would like to perform manual updates - is there a way I can do so?" There you will find the links to download the most recent database files.
    SpywareBlaster Troubleshooting and Tips & Tricks

Please let us know if you are successful in updating SpywareBlaster.

Regards,

snap

4. rmdcmd

rmdcmd Registered Member

Downloading Spywareblaster updates

By following the advice of several forum members, I was able to solve my problem about downloading Spywareblaster updates on a daily, automatic basis. The problem was not Windows XP SP2. It was Norton's Internet Security firewall which was responsible. I highlighted Personal Firewall, clicked on Configure, clicked on the Programs tab, and scrolled through the programs until I came to <sbautoupdate.exe> and changed "block" to "permit all". After that the automatic updating worked fine. Thanks for all the advice. rmdcmd

5. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi rmdcmd,

I have merged your last post with this thread.

Thank you for posting back and letting us know that you have fixed the problem you were having. Hopefully it may be of some help to anyone else that is using Norton's Internet Security firewall and having trouble with updating SpywareBlaster.

Regards,

snap

6. qpackard

qpackard Registered Member

I am having problems updating spyware blaster.
    I have windows xp home, sp2, IE 6.x spyware blaster 3.2.
    My ms firewall is turned off and SWB is set to no protection. I have also tried the update with the firewall on and full protection, still no luck.

I click on the update button in SWB and I get the following message:

"Error Connecting to Update Server
    There was an error getting the update information file from the server. The
    server may be temporarily unavailable, or there may be a conflict with firewall software installed on your pc. The update information file may have also gotten corrupted during download.
    Please try again soon."

Do you have any clues as to what I can do to get the update?

Gracious thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.