SpywareBlaster Tries To Open Word

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by scrambled, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scrambled

scrambled Registered Member

I'm sure this is a problem with my computer and not SpywareBlaster, but when I open SpywareBlaster, it starts searching for something from the Microsoft Word 2000 CD.

I'm running Windows XP Pro, and I do have Word 2000 loaded.

This problem has happened with my older version of SpywareBlaster which I just uninstalled to load version 3.2.

I've only had this computer a few weeks (gift! *grin*), so I'm still doing battle with it.

Thanks for any help!

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hi there! Have you installed your Windows critical updates?

3. MCT

MCT Registered Member

i think this is a problem with the visual basic runtime files, goto the link in my signature (Spyware Blaster Tips & Tricks) & download the visual basic runtime files, choose "save as" or "save target as" when u right click it & save it 2 your desktop (as an example) then once its downloaded open it (double click it) & follow the instructions (very few of them) & it should install, restart & u should be ok

if that doesnt work, uninstall office & reinstall it

hope this helps :D

4. scrambled

Yup. :(

It wants to install Word 2000 DATA1.MSI.

I have to click cancels and ok's three times before SpywareBlaster will open.

This makes me wonder if SpywareBlaster is even working on my system.

Never aware of any problems when I used it on my Win98 computer.

I have Word 2002 around here somewhere, so I may get off my duff to load it to see if it helps. I use Word once a year if I help someone with a project. If all else fails, I can uninstall Word, but I would prefer to know the reason for the problem.

Thanks.

5. Neil Parks

Neil Parks Guest

By all means uninstall Word, and try freeware 602PC Suite instead. See

www.software602.com

6. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

If you insert that Word 2002 CD when it shows that prompt, it should install the missing file and allow you to use SpywareBlaster without that annoyance.

I'm not sure why this happens - SpywareBlaster doesn't use the Windows Installer, nor does it use any Office components (and especially not the one mentioned). And the problem only occurs on a very small percentage of PCs with Office/Word installed.

In any case, inserting that CD should fix the problem. Please let me know. :)

Thanks,

-Javacool

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I have experienced this same thing upon system reinstall with SWB 3.0. I had installed SWB before updating windows. - when I updated windows it went away.

8. scrambled

Everything works fine now.

1. I already had the latest Windows updates. My previous "Yup" was in answer to that question, but someone else was posting at the same time and finished posting before I did. So, I'm slow.

2. I uninstalled Word 2000. Installed Word 2002, which was not mine. It was here to do a project for someone, but I used my Word 2000 for the project. Uninstalled Word 2002 because I could only use it 49 times without a key from Microsoft.

3. Reinstalled Word 2000.

Word 2000 works fine.
    SpywareBlaster works fine and no longer looks for an unneeded file.

Thanks to all for your comments and help.

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Ah - good to hear that you've got it working now!

Sorry about my previous "repeat;" thought I'd "slipped through the cracks" so to speak :p

10. scrambled

Detox, yours was a good question. I just didn't notice the minutes-earlier post after I posted.

The original problem could have occured when I was first adding programs to this computer. I installed Microsoft Office 97, then later installed Microsoft Word 2000 without uninstalling the Word part of Microsoft Office 97.

I've only had this computer a month, but after years (many, many) of installing and updating programs, I avoid doing so like the plague, and I seldom know if it's best to install over or uninstall first. It's not the same for all programs, and not all programs say which is right.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.