Spywareblaster problems?!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by pacifist, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pacifist

pacifist Registered Member

I had previously been using v2.x without any problems whatsoever, so I decided to install Spywareblaster 3.1.

"O boy" what a nightmare I have been having this day. I installed, updated it and had no problems. I was smiling ... the sun was shining and all was peaceful.

I then proceeded to run my regular registry cleanup using Microsoft's Regclean. I had not installed any other programs since the last cleanup and Spywareblaster was the only program I did install prior to running the cleanup. After the cleanup , I got a huge list of invalid registry entries, which I am assuming, came from Spywareblaster. I then said to myself ... "Wait I don't want to delete this, I want these items in my registry", so I right-clicked the registry file to restore the changes to the registry.

Thats when all HELL broke loose. I got a wonderful colored 5mm bar at the top of the screen and the computer froze. So I was just shaking my head. "O well", I said to myself as I pressed the reset button, "Crap happens."
    The PC restarts and I get an error message saying my registry has been OWNED. I frown. Scanreg starts up and fixes all. The machine restarts. I uninstall Spywareblaster. I restart. An error from the firewall now. I restart, same error again. I uninstall the firewall. Restart the machine. Antivirus error. I restart ... same error. I uninstall the antivirus, restart the machine. Restarts
    fine now. I breathe a sigh of relief.

I now decided to change some PC settings ... go to dial-up networking change a few settings and restart the machine. Scanreg pops up again with registry error. Backups up old version I restart the machine. Entries which I previously uninstalled from the system, suddenly pop-up and I get all sorts of VXD errors. Dial-up networking settings resort to old settings as well as other settings I had changed ... I go do them all over again. Restart the machine. Registry error again. If I had a gun right then, my computer would be smoking right now. I uninstall and reinstall all the applications that were giving me errors.

All seems fine and I try to connect to the internet. LINE IS BUSY error. Line is not busy ... I hate you PC ... I hate you. Restart PC. Try again. Finally I get connect to the net.

Let me say this when I unistalled Spywareblaster I did not uncheck protection . Is that where my problems started ... I am at a loss. I have not had any blue screens, viruses and what not for months , maybe years. Today I have had at least 10 startup registry errors, not to mention program errors and I am extremely worried about installing Spywareblaster again. I have done a virus scan and no problems there.

I am using win98SE. I am considering never to use a registry cleaner again ... that or Spywareblaster. :(

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hmm well I can't help much but I am quite sure that Javacool will need to know your operating system and maybe which AV and FW you are using.

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Based on your (very detailed) description, I'd hazard a guess that this is related to some problem in Microsoft's Regclean - I'll have to look around to see if I can find anyone complaining of something related.

Have you ever done that "right click to restore" before in Regclean?

This really does look like a Regclean issue - especially considering everything was fine after you installed SpywareBlaster, up until the point that you used Regclean. :doubt:

I'll look around a bit and see what I can find.

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.