Spywareblaster & Opera

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by croths, Aug 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. croths

croths Registered Member

Please forgive me if this is a stunningly stupid question, I am TOTALLY un-techy.
    Can Spywareblaster work with Opera browser? Thanks.

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi croths,

There is no such thing as a stupid question. However there are stupid answers.
    Here goes hoping this is not one of them. ;)

SpywareBlaster works with the Windows registry. That means it can block the spyware, no matter where it came from.
    The tracking cookie protection however only works with IE6, so that part will not work with Opera.

Regards,

Pieter

3. croths

croths Registered Member

Thank you very much for your help :)

4. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello all,

I brought this up in a topic a while back, but for the life of me, I have searched and searched and cannot find the topic.

Javacool and pepiMK compare notes from time to time and pepiMk came up with a file to place in your Opera directory called plugin-ignore.ini. This does basically the same as Spywareblaster but customizes it for Opera.

Quoted from: http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=news/news20021204
    New download: Opera plugin-ignore file
    Based on the CLSID database which also contains filenames, we have created a plugin-ignore.ini file for Opera that blocks the filenames of many malicious IE plugins. For many of them, it hasn't been verified yet if they can install into Opera, too, but take this file as a prevention step if they do: download here: http://security.kolla.de/files/tools/plugin-ignore.zip , then unzip the file into your main Opera folder.

I do not know if it has been updated in a while, or if pepiMK plans on updating it. He originally planned to keep it updated, but since he is so busy with many different projects, it may be low on his priority list.

I use Opera as my main browser, but have have to keep IE6 around for a few sites. I use both Spywareblaster and the plugin-ignore.ini file from pepiMK without any problems.

HTH......

Regards,
    Kent

5. croths

croths Registered Member

Thanks very much for the help and the link.
    I've been having trouble trying to install Spywareblaster, it keeps hanging in the middle of installing. :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.