Spywareblaster in XP

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by syahbana, Apr 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syahbana

syahbana Guest

Should I install spywareblaster in every user account (limited)?

or I just install from administrator account?

Then if I installed from administrator account, should I run it on every user account (limited)?

(I heard that I have to run (or update the data file) from every user account in my PC... So if you have 3 user account, you have to do the protection and updating for each of them)

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, I'm not Javacool, (or any kind of "cool" for that matter ;) ), but SpywareBlaster sets the "kill bits" for the ActiveX controls it targets in a shared section of the Windows registry, not in a user specific area. So, running it from an Admin account would set these flags and cover all users on the system from that point forward. (Don't forget to run SpywareBlaster periodically to check for new updates. Once a week is probably fine.)

I say to run it from an Admin account just because I believe people should only install programs and make global security / system configuration changes from an Admin account - just to be sure that the program you are using has the necessary access it needs to do a clean and complete job. I don't know whether the rights needed to set these kill bits are available from the limited accounts or not.

Edit: Actually, it occurs to me that I was speaking above only about the primary purpose of SpywareBlaster - the ActiveX kills bit settings. However, this program has some other protections now that may or may not be user specific. It looks like the Cookie protection is stored in a user specific registry key. So, we'll need Javacool to tell us if the program therefore has to run per-user for that protection to work...

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

For just the kill-bit setting, spyware protection you need only run SpywareBlaster in the administrator account (it will protect all users).

For cookie protection, you will need to run SpywareBlaster in each account that you wish to be protected (as cookie protection IS user specific).

Also, System Snapshot is user specific - you should probably run this once in every account also to get a baseline in case your system is every infected with spyware.

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.