SpywareBlaster? How good is it?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by manOFpeace, Aug 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Hello, do members have any knowledge of how SpywareBlaster rates
    alongside Spyblocker. o_O
    I am looking for an alternative to Spyblocker. :)

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

SpywareBlaster is not a replacement for Spyblocker assuming this is the product that you are talking about. It is a program with a very specific purpose, that being the blocking of a list of known spyware related ActiveX controls and cookies (note that the cookie control is only available for IE6).

SpywareBlaster does not remain active in memory, and provides no capability to filter or proxy web content to prevent access to web bugs, nor does it do any Ad blocking, (well, unless the Ads were presented using one of the ActiveX controls it disables).

I think you'd actually need to look into other privacy software like pop-up blockers or local proxy filtering tools.

3. manOFpeace

Thanks LowWaterMark for reply, this product it would seem, does not meet my needs. :(

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

While it is true that it does not do what SpyBlocker does, you still might find it very valuable. SpywareBlaster uses no resources as it protects against a long list of spyware related ActiveX controls simply by flagging them in the registry, which prevents them from running or even downloading. It basically provides a specific type of protection without any cost (either in money or system resources).

It still might well be worth using as a separate protection form in an overall layered defense. Just a thought. :)

5. manOFpeace

Thanks LWM, you have some very valids points there and especially
    as it is easy to keep going, using little resources. I will reconsider. ;)

6. JayK

JayK Poster

The valid products to compare with spyblocker is proxomitron and Privoxy

7. Gaz

Gaz Registered Member

Hi,

I love spywareguard and blaster.

They are excellent must haves for your PC, they have blocked a right lot of spyware and helped keep not only my network in good condition the PC's them self, remain reliable and spyware free.

Great!

8. manOFpeace

Thanks to all who took the time and trouble to help. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.