SpywareBlaster - displaying unprotected items

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by MikeBCda, Jan 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi all,

Sorry for not doing a search for this first, but this place (although nicely "compartmented") is a lot bigger than the avast forums, which is how I first came here. :oops:

By way of background, I recently acquired SB 2.6.1 (and SpywareGuard too, but that doesn't come into this).

I've found that if I tick "select all items" and then "protect", and then spend some time on the web, I'll later find several cookie items have become un-protected. I'm guessing this is because of "always accept" settings for some sites in IE-6 and/or Cookie Pal, and I'd also guess that these over-ride SB settings.

I already know, from another topic here somewhere, that there's unfortunately no way (yet) to view the database in alphabetical order. Is there, however, some way to group unprotected items together, to make it easier to review them and consider changing the accept-settings for them?

Thanks, and best,
    Mike

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Mike,

Yes, you are correct about IE (and other cookie management software) overriding the settings made by SpywareBlaster's cookie protections. SpywareBlaster simply places the list of selected cookies into the Windows registry in the same place that IE6 stores and manages its cookie settings, marking these cookies as "Always Block".

You can see them all on IE6 > Tools menu > Internet Options... > Privacy tab > Web Sites section > Edit... button. In IE6 you can sort the list of cookies into the Always Block and Always Allow groups by hitting the column header "Setting". Unfortunately, SpywareBlaster can't sort or even group items as you mentioned, though that feature has been requested, of course.

While not exactly what you are looking for, the only idea I have that may help you zero in on this is to check SpywareBlaster's list immediately after an update becomes available. By default (though it is an option in SB's "Settings" screen) only the "unprotected items" will be displayed immediately after SpywareBlaster downloads a new update. This is done to allow you to see more easily the new and unprotected items. At that time, it should be clear what few cookies are unchecked.

If you then compare that to the IE6 Privacy tab cookies list, sorting those by the "Setting" column and scanning those that are set "Always Allow", well it'll be a much shorter list in SB and easier to find them in IE.

Perhaps Javacool will add more advanced options for this type of thing in a future version.

I hope this helps a little.

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Thanks, LWM, that's more or less what I'd guessed. :)

One thing I should obviously do at this point is go back and double-check the setting for what gets displayed after an update -- I have a sneaking suspicion I changed it from the default to "display all", or however it's worded.

Thanks again, and best,
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.