SpywareBlaster blocking Add-on

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Judesman, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judesman

Judesman Registered Member

I have recently signed up to ancestry.co.uk. Every time I access the site I get a yellow information bar in IE9 stating "AnAdd-on for this web site failed to run" and there is a blank area where an advert should be. I also see that there is a blank advert box in my Virgin Media Homepage. I have discovered that SpywareBlaster is causing the problem and by disabling Restricted Sites protection the problem is solved. The question is which entry is blocking the Add-on and stopping the adverts. It has been suggested that I should enable each entry one at a time to find the problem but there are thousands of entries. Does anyone have any suggestions please.

2. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

dump ancestry.co.uk..:argh:

3. Manny Carvalho

Manny Carvalho Registered Member

Ancestry.com is a badly written site and I suspect the UK version is the same. My wife uses it every day and it's great for what it does but you have to lower security to get the site to work properly. For some reason problems plaque ancestry.com that doesn't bother other sites.

I don't remember all the details of what I had to do but I allowed 3rd party cookies for it and could not block the advertisements. In fact, I made it a trusted site in IE so that it works properly. I do in fact trust ancestry.com

It turned out that a corruption with the flash player was causing the problem. Once I deleted it and installed the latest things turned around. I don't know why just this site was involved but you might want to try this just in case. If you have flash get the uninstaller, use it, reboot and then install the latest for your machine. It was odd and I'm not totally convinced I got to the bottom of it but it is working now so I've left it alone.

I also suspected that SB was somehow interfering with it but it wasn't. Here's that thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=271113

Good luck with it. It drove me crazy and the tech support at the site were less than helpful. It's been working for my wife now for over a year with no issues.

4. Judesman

Manny Carvalho, thank you for your helpful reply. I have been battling with this problem for about four weeks. I have tried everything, playing with IE settings, Norton, Add-ons, re-installing Java and re-installing Flashplayer having used the uninstaller as you suggest (I'm pretty sure I used the unistaller because I was surprised that it removed Flash from Firefox as well). Originally I thought it was an Ancestry problem and I wasn' very impressed with their support. Their technology is not up to date and their answer to my problem was to download an out of date version of Firefox that solved the problem but it din't explain why there was a problem with IE. That was until I turned off SpywareBlaster and that solved the problem.

Ancestry is in Trusted Sites but that doesn't help. Thanks for the link I might try disabling just cookie protection and see what happens.

Many thanks.

5. Manny Carvalho

You're welcome.

This problem is just wacky and I'm sure it'll be obvious as to the root cause when it's finally figured out. At the moment it's just an amorphous mess that nobody, including the ancestry.com tech support people, really understands exactly.

As far as flash, they are differences in it regarding not only Windows but browsers as well. IE and other browsers have different versions. You might just want to go through the process again and see what happens.

Here's the uninstall routine: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html
    Here's the download page: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
    Here's the version check page: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

I can't really explain why toggling SB seems to resolve this issue other than perhaps saying that SB touches whatever is causing the problem and temporarily turns it off. It's not a fix though but only a temporary one that just causes more confusion.

I'd really like to figure this out so I'm glad [sorry about that :) ] that somebody else is having this problem as well.

6. Judesman

Hi. Thanks for that. I have saved your links although I have the version check page already. I will give this one more go because I don't think I did a reboot after uninstalling. I have played around with so many settings over the last few weeks and I don't like doing too many re-installations. Let's see what happens. Ancestry must be used by millions of people so this shouldn't happen. I might have to leave this until tomorrow now (I'm in the UK) but I will report back.

Thanks for your input.

7. Judesman

Hi Manny Carvalho.

Well, I re-installed Flashplayer but nothing has changed. With a little help I have ascertained that doubleclick.net in SpywareBlaster Restricted Sites is the culprit. I have disabled protection on this one entry and all is working as it should.

8. Manny Carvalho

The blocking of doubleclick was one of my possibilities as well. It seems odd that would cause such problems but I suppose that could be it.

I hope it keeps working for you.

9. Judesman

Thanks for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.