SpywareBlaster: Access Violation Error

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by MDJarvis, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Upon checking for SpywareBlaster updates this evening, I clicked Updates in the left navigation panel, then Check for Updates, and immediately got this error message... "Access violation at 0x7722BA97 (tried to write to 0x0389C000), program terminated".

Slightly different than last time, per the 0x0389C000. I suspect that you are going to tell me that this is due to the combination of programs I am running, so I'll let this be the last time I report such errors to you. I will note that I do not encounter Access violation error messages when attempting to update any of my other applications.

--> Edit in: In keeping with a previous question you asked of me when this happened..."Since the last time you successfully checked for updates with SpywareBlaster, have you:-Upgraded/updated any software (if so, what?)", the answer is avast!, BOClean and Spybot.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

I do have a few quick questions, to see if we can narrow down what might be causing it:

1.) If you *just* reboot your computer (i.e. don't empty cache, or any other clean-up/setting changes), does the problem still occur?

2.) If you still see the error after the reboot, please try repeating what you did before (clean up cache first, and then reboot) and let me know if the error is then resolved.

Thanks in advance! :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Well, I tried updating again (before reading your reply) and the error did not appear. This was without a reboot or any cache cleaning. The pc had just sat unattended for an hour. I then tried it several more times in an effort to replicate the error, but it's fine now. So, I wasn't able to provide an answer to 1. or 2. above, but maybe what I did relay contains a clue.

*Please note that I did add an edit to the previous post 10 minutes after posting. :)

Thanks for your support, as always. :thumb:

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I wanted to post back. Soon after receiving this suggestion from you, I uninstalled ThreatFire. What you said made a lot of sense, and more importantly, it finally sunk in for me. Perhaps it is premature for me to say so, but it's been more than two weeks since I removed TF, and in that time I have not experienced any Access Violation Errors while trying to update SpywareBlaster. FWIW :)

5. MDJarvis

MDJarvis Registered Member

Hello there, Javacool.

I haven't heard from you for a while - have my mails been getting through?

Was the log file from the debug version you sent me of any use to you? I'm just wondering where you are with this as things seem to have gone pretty quiet.

Thanks, and best wishes.

6. DaveBaldwin

DaveBaldwin Registered Member

I'm getting an Access Violation Error on this machine running Windows 2000. I've tracked it down to a problem with Firefox 3.0.6. I can enable protection for everything else but I get the error when I try to enable protection for Firefox. Spybot S&D 1.6.2 is also having a problem with setting protections for Firefox, says that it is 'open' when, as far as I can tell, it's not.
    The specific error is '0x779D960A (tried to read from 0x03FC3000).

7. javacool

Hi,

My most sincere apologies for the delayed reply - an upgrade to some spam filters resulted in a number of e-mails getting improperly foldered. :blink:

The log file was indeed useful, and I should have another debug build ready sometime relatively soon. (I have to make a number of tweaks to help further narrow down the cause.)

Many thanks for your continued assistance and willingness to help track down this bug. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

8. javacool

Hi,

That's a new one, and isn't related to the other access violations mentioned above. I've added this to the to-do list to see if I can reproduce it on a fresh install of Windows 2000.

(Many thanks for the detailed description! :cool:)

Best regards,

-Javacool

9. javacool

Hi,

Thanks for providing the update - and I'm glad to hear things are a bit more stable on your system. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

10. MDJarvis

MDJarvis Registered Member

The latest software update (version 4.2) has fixed my problem (see the first post of this thread).

I uninstalled version 4.1; rebooted; installed 4.2.

No access violation error.

Excellent - thanks Javacool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.