SpywareBlaster 5.0 released! - (Google Chrome users rejoice!)

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by javacool, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mnosteele

mnosteele Registered Member

Sprocket, Chrome does not show up because you are installing Chrome with the .msi. That is how I usually install Chrome for my clients (and myself) so that it installs system wide for all users. When it installs in this way it installs in a different directory than normal (when using the standard installer from Google's site) and SpywareBlaster does not look for it in that directory. If you uninstall Chrome then reinstall using the "standard" installation it will show up and work fine.

;)

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Standard installation installs into Program Files (x86) nowadays, at least in my Admin account, so there's little point of using the .msi installer. SpywareBlaster detects my Chrome no problem.

Bundled Chrome on the other hand may install into AppData.

3. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

I forgot to thank you, JC.
    So here you go for a well deserved big Thank You! :cool:

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Sending along my thanks as well. Super app.

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Looking good so far, excellent upgrade! :thumb:

As SB now works for Chrome as well, does this mean it can protect other Chromium based browsers, such as the new version of Opera that is being developed?

6. Daveski17

I am not sure if this is in the correct thread but I have noticed something interesting in Chrome with SpywareBlaster protection enabled.

ChromeCookiesPEG.jpg

As you can see there is an icon in the runbar claiming that the cookies have been prevented. The radio button was automatically checked to: Always allow www.metoffice.gov.uk to set cookies. I can change the custom settings still on this site (MET Office Weather) & nothing appears to have changed. I was just curious about the red 'x' on the cookie icon. Surely if I allow cookies the cookie icon 'x' should either disappear or the icon should altogether? I don't use Chrome that much so I am not sure about this.

Either way, it seems to be working fine with SpywareBlaster. :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Whenever a website tries to set a cookie/cookies, but cookies are blocked, you'll see that icon with the red cross in it. Otherwise, if allowed to be set, you'll see it without the red cross.

So, yes, you're right about it. :)

8. Daveski17

Yes, but what confuses me is that the icon is still displayed on this page yet I can still alter custom settings on the page itself. I always believed that those custom settings are due to cookies. The icon is still there, although the radio button (in the jpeg above) quite plainly shows that I am allowing cookies. Surely the icon should disappear now I am allowing cookies?

9. Daveski17

EDIT: I just checked which cookies were actually allowed & which have been denied. It has allowed me to allow cookies that are beneficial to changing page settings & blocked some tracking cookies. Which is great! :D

10. m00nbl00d

Glad your sorted it out.

11. Daveski17

Thanks. It wasn't a real problem, I was just a bit puzzled. SpywareBlaster seems to be working great with Chrome. I'm impressed.

12. m00nbl00d

I just installed SB 5.0 to a relative, but it doesn't detect Google Chrome, which is installed under Program Files.

I'll see if uninstalling and reinstalling fixes this. :doubt:

13. Daveski17

I installed 'over the top' on three separate computers & everything was OK. However, I believe there are others on this thread who have had the same problem as you. All I can think of is that something, probably an AV or some other antimalware, is clashing & causing this problem. It could be the way Chrome has been set up on that particular computer.

14. chileno

chileno Registered Member

I installed it and it seems to be working OK, I use Firefox, my problem is that since yesterday, I haven't been able to connect to the update site and gives me the following message. I have checked my firewall and everything is OK, AFAIK.

I am going to try to re-install.

Thank you for any help on this.

Attached Files:

15. billy13

billy13 Registered Member

Finally.............:D

16. Joan Archer

Joan Archer Registered Member

I had no problems updating my computers here running Windows 7 and I've now installed it on my Windows 8 Notebook without problems.

I've used it for years on all the OS versions I've had and so far never had any problems with it interfering with my other security programs. :thumb:

17. w33d3r

w33d3r Registered Member

Marvellous - Chrome support

Installed v5 on ..

Vista x32 Laptop

Win 7 x32 Desktop

Win 7 x64 Laptop

Win 7 x32 Laptop

All machines had all installed software needing protection detected, and updates for them.

With a couple of misses as follows ..

All machines do not have Firefox, but do have Thunderbird

Firefox is showing as detected and protected

All machines ( with the exception of the last one Win 7 x32 Laptop ) detected and correctly updated for protecting Chrome ..

The last one being the exception because it does not have Chrome ( googles brand ) installed .. But does have the best Security & Privacy respecting fork of Chrome installed ..

Comodo Dragon

It has been suggested a couple of times already in the replies preceeding this, but plus one for requesting other forks of the Chromium code.

SRWare Iron is another I can think of, and I believe there are a fair few Chromeplus users out there .. But they should be using Dragon instead ( imho :) )

18. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Uninstalled this product years ago as I could never get an alert or anything to prove that it was actually doing anything.

Is it supposed to protect the registry or host files?

An enigma wrapped up in a contradiction hiding under a conundrum masquerading as a dilema......Gawd lifes too short uninstall it.:thumbd:

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It's in your browser settings (at least was for Chrome 27 & below) and registry (for Internet Explorer). Internet Explorer gets the most protection, for example: Tools > Internet options > Privacy > Sites.

Although SpywareBlaster may be dated and incomplete, it doesn't have any negative qualities, so I keep it anyways.

20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

As long as Windows has a registry, it's not dated.

21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I was talking about the age of the software and entries. Some of the blacklisted domains don't exist anymore.

22. simoalien

simoalien Registered Member

excellent software :) , just a curiosity, closing the program, this should still be active, but among the running processes do not find it, how do I know if it is really running protection? :(

23. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Perhaps you need to have a read through the FAQ...

http://www.brightfort.com/spywareblaster.html#FAQ

24. doit4ron

doit4ron Registered Member

I have Windows 7 64bit Professional SP1. SpywareBlaster 5.0 works with Chrome version 30.0.1599.69 m on my other computers but not this one. I have tried the clean install including removing all traces of SpywareBlaster from the registry and the C: drive. Rebooted. Then an install. It does not set up Chrome for protection. Please let me know how to make it work.
    Ron Taylor

25. niterobin

niterobin Registered Member

Thank you for the new version of this excellent program!

I had one problem with it - update downloads kept failing. I fixed this by removing the program, which I'd installed on top of the last version, deleting the Spywareblaster directory in c:\Program Files\, and doing a clean install. It now works perfectly.

Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.