SpywareBlaster 4.2 released!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by javacool, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wris

wris Registered Member

I had version 4.1 Spywareblaster and tried updating to 4.2. I had read recommendations that you should shut down spywareblaster, uninstall it through add/remove in control panel, and install newly-downloaded file.

I wish I had read your forum about not having to uninstall, because now I have NO protection.

I uninstalled the old version and tried to install Version 4.2, but get this warning: Unable to execute file in the temporary directory. Setup aborted. Error 5: Access is denied. I had downloaded the new version to my desktop, had turned off both antivirus and firewall and was disconnected from the internet while trying to install the files.

I have deleted the downloaded file and re-downloaded a few times and keep getting the error messages. I did notice when I went into windows explorer that there was still a folder for Spywareblaster, with a couple of files, even after removing spywareblaster from the control panel, and I sent that to my recycle bin.

Any idea how I can get this program back on my computer.
    Windows XP Home, IE7. I tried reinstalling the older version and get the same error.

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Try using Ccleaner to delete the internet cache and also the Windows temp files. You can also run Disk Cleanup which may catch a few files that Ccleaner misses. Last, actually check the C:\windows\temp folder and your profile temp folder ( for XP look in "C:\documents and settings\your name\local settings\temp" and make sure it's empty (If you use Explorer you will have to unhide hidden files and system files in Folder Options to find these folders). Then try to reinstall.

3. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Opera 9.62 here. XP-Pro-SP3 and XP-home-SP3.

But, while a vital necessity for IE, why do we need it for Opera which can block all scripts or block on a per-site basis. I suppose I'm missing something here. I don't think ActiveX applies to Opera. What don't I understand?

4. progress

progress Guest

I'm using Firefox 3, what advantages do I get with SpywareBlaster 4.2? o_O

5. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Dangerous scripts still work on Opera, even if ActiveX is not there. Do you mean block ALL scripts? Cause then you can't use any, and that feels like an uncomfortable solution. SpywareBlaster would probably make blocking of dangerous scripts when protecting Opera-users, which many on these forums actually seems to be, incl. me.

6. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Thank you.
    :thumb:

7. txakura

txakura Registered Member

OK, so I may not have done this right...

I got extremely irked by the screen that wants you to select some download that I really didn't want. Instead, I just posted a "donation" from Paypal ($10). That got rid of the irksome screen and allowed me to download the new version. However, since I donated more than $9.95, don't I now get a license? I can't see how to get from where I am to having the license.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, I've been an extremely satisfied user of SpywareBlaster for a long time - V2 maybe? And although I've gone through some other "big deal" software, to make sure I have a handle on spyware/virus junk, I've never even thought of no longer using SpywareBlaster.

8. progress

progress Guest

Eh? o_O

9. Neustradamus

Neustradamus Registered Member

Hello,

Can you add Opera, Orca Browser, Safari, Chrome ?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Neustradamus

10. raven211

It's not a secret that scripts can still run on Opera, or whatever it's called... What is it you don't get? o_O

11. progress

progress Guest

ActiveX on Opera? :blink:

12. raven211

I said... "even if ActiveX is NOT there"

13. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Great program, but can you add m.webtrends.com to your block list for bad cookies trackers. Also anyway I can add my own list..

14. mismi

mismi Registered Member

I updated SpywareBlaster 4.1 by disabling all protection, then uninstalling 4.1 then downloading the 4.2 setup file.

Now I`m having problems when trying to run the SpywareBlaster 4.2 setup file.
    I get: spywareblastersetup42.exe is not a valid Win32 application

What do I need to do to correct this?

I`ve never had a problem with SpywareBlaster and definitely do not want to be without it now.

Please help.

Thank you much.

15. mgroeger

mgroeger Registered Member

The other day I updated to version 4.2 and right at that time i picked up some form of the Conficker virus. Don't know how but i did and it coincided with when i downloaded 4.2. So I used Malwarebytes to get rid of the virus and uninstalled 4.2 and then reinstalled it. It installs just fine but I can not run it. Even when I install and it asks would you like to run now and I say yes it does not pop the tool up. It does nothing.

So i downloaded version 4.1 and it runs just fine but obviously I can not update it as it tells me to download version 4.2. I have tried repeatedly but no luck. Any ideas?

16. N2thuWild

N2thuWild Registered Member

O.K., here is the dumbest question of the day. I installed SpywareBlaster 4.2 and I have never used it before. The program says all things are protected but how do you tell if it is working?:D

17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Great question... certainly not dumb! I always took the program's word for it. ;) But you could do this...
    Try accessing any of the sites that are restricted. I tried three real quick...
    Netvenda.com
    NewTopSites.com
    Antispyshield.com
    IE7 would not load any of them.
    Edit in: Javacool's Knowledgebase has you covered... How do I know that SpywareBlaster® is working?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  18. N2thuWild

N2thuWild Registered Member

Thanks SO much Page42, first for the great information and second for making me feel better about my question.:D :thumb:
    OOPS !! Got as far as the second one and Firefox loaded it. Uh Oh!! And I think WOT stopped the first one.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I believe that what is happening (in some cases) is that SpywareBlaster doesn't block the site (like a hosts file) but does prevent the blocked items from installing on your computer. I'm glad you asked the question because perhaps now we'll both get a better explanation. ;)

20. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

To the best of my memory, SB's Firefox protection is limited to cookies. Firefox doesn't use active-x, after all.

In IE, the primary protection is against installing and running active-x baddies. Plus the restricted-sites protection, which designates a great many sites as restricted so that while you can usually go to them (the urls themselves aren't blocked), they're set to the highest possible level of security so that very little can be loaded or activated there.

21. progress

progress Guest

So there is no need for SpywareBlaster with Firefox? o_O

22. raven211

Guess not really... but sometimes, atleast I think, you gotta use IE, and IE8 has some very nice protection features (see remove-malware.com and scroll down and you should see it), but I also thought there are "scripts" that can run, even if they're not ActiveX based? Is that not true? Alteast that's what I recall when always using Opera like I do for a long time.

23. progress

progress Guest

I don't know, but if SpywareBlaster "only" blocks ActiveX and Cookies then there is no need for it when using Firefox.

Javacool?! :doubt:

24. raven211

Yes, I would personally say that's correct. Cookies are close to completely harmless - it's more of a personal opinion how dangerous the user thinks it's. If not, then I think they can skip SpywareBlaster, cause I don't think restricted sites apply to FF as well, but correct if I'm wrong. ;)

25. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Don't forget the NoScript extension for Firefox, that's probably the #1 extension (sometimes even the only one) for most of us FF users.

While FF is my default browser, I do keep IE7 up to date plus keep SpywareBlaster. Mostly because IE is so tightly integrated with the OS that many things use the IE "engine" even if you're not not aware a browser (components of it, anyway) is in use. And I've got a few otherwise perfectly legit apps which ignore your default and insist on opening IE to, e.g., check for updates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.