SpywareBlaster 4.0 released!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by javacool, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swrtree

Swrtree Registered Member

AV = Avast
    Firewall = ZoneAlarm Pro (SpywareBlaster has full permissions in program control)

ISP = TPG (tpg.com.au)

Error message = "cannot establish a connection to download"

Tried connecting to spywareblaster.net using FireFox = "connection timed out"
    Ditto IE7.

Since I'm using the internet on the same machine to write this... my ISP has is blockedo_Oo_O??

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Please contact your ISP and tell them you cannot access www.spywareblaster.net , and that this is preventing you from updating SpywareBlaster. The site is indeed up, and is accessible by users all over the globe (with other ISPs), so please ask them to verify that the problem is not on their end.

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

3. mandrewwhiteman

mandrewwhiteman Registered Member

I was using the old Spywareblaster on my laptop with WinME and was told I had to download the 4.0. I could not locate the quick key or whatever it was so unistalled the old version though add/delete feature of Windows. After I installed the 4.0 and attempted to open Spywareblaster, it went to blue screen and an error message told me to turn off my computer.:mad: I then attempted to uninstall via add/delete but there was no Spywareblaster there to uninstall. I downloaded the 2nd time and went through the same blue screen procedure. Againn nothing to unistalled so I used a CyberMedia Unstaller which is an outdaded device. I downladed the 3rd time today and had the same issue except I had something for Windows to uninstall which I did.
    1) What did I do wrong? What can I do?
    2) I also have a PC with WinXP. Will I have the same TBL? I don't want to uninstall SpywareBlaster and find I have no protection.

I have had no trouble and have been satisfied with Spywareblaster until I tried to download the new 4.0

Thanks for your help.

4. javacool

Hi,

Please try downloading and installing the latest VB run-times from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...61-7A9C-43E7-9117-F673077FFB3C&displaylang=en

(This will help us rule out potential causes - we haven't had any other reports of similar problems.)

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

5. yvonnegee

yvonnegee Registered Member

Hi Javacool,
    Have tried attaching the 2 screenshots in .jpg.
    The first Sreenshot 1.JPG shows the popup when I attempt to download using the standard (default) connection or server connection. When I click OK the second screen appears. Screenshot 2 screenshot 2.JPG .
    Now when I choose the alternative update mode (safe mode) as before no popup appears and I just get the second Screenshot. However for a millisec, insufficient to confirm what I see, it looks as though the green line on the meter in screenshot 1 has gone to 100% (previously 20% but stayed long enough for me to confirm the figure!).

ALSO:
    Connected to http://www.spywareblaster.net/sbversion4.txt

and received the following page OK:
    [sbdatabase]
    Bas=1001
    Inc=1002
    Location=http://www.spywareblaster.net/spywareblaster40/

[sbdatabase2]
    Bas=1001

[sbinfo]
    Bas=1001

[ckdatabase]
    Bas=1001

[rsdatabase]
    Bas=1001

[Program Update Information]
    ProductID=001
    VersionMajor=4
    VersionMinor=0
    VersionRev=0

yvonnegee

6. yvonnegee

Javacool,

Managed to get a screenshot with all antivirus software inactive and the hardware firewall turned off. Set the download option to system in alternative mode (See screenshot) Sreenshot 4.JPG
    Then the following screen remained active for a few seconds, sufficient to get the screenshot.
    Screenshot 3.JPG

It seems as if there is a firewall setting blocking the download, but everything is turned off, and I had no issue updating 3.5.1 with the same settings!!!!

Thanks for your advice
    yvonnegee

7. javacool

Hi,

That 20% you're seeing is a built-in default when using the Alternative Download Method (since the progress of the download cannot be accurately determined using the Alternative Download Method). So, unfortunately, it doesn't mean you're getting any further with the connection.

There is nothing that changed between 3.5.1 and 4.0 that should be able to cause the issue you're seeing. (If anything, we've seen drastically less reports of updating issues with the new version - I'm sorry you happen to be one of the unlucky ones! :doubt:)

I'm going to keep working on this issue. If you could e-mail me at bugreports@javacoolsoftware.com (referencing your username on these forums and this thread), I can keep you up-to-date on my progress and if I need any further information from you (or have test fixes for you to try).

In the meantime, and I realize this isn't ideal, but there is a manual method of updating available. (Please see this thread.) It will, at least, allow you to keep up-to-date while I try to figure out what's causing this issue.

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

8. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Thanks for updating this elegant application.
    Everything is problem free.
    I particularly like the ability to rename the text for Internet Explorer. That's going to catch on!

Re yvonnegee's isssue...I've never heard of a program uninstaller that removed the installer for itself before. Something is a bit suss, there.

Yvonne, did you download and save the program somewhere? And did that saved program really vanish when you uninstalled its predecessor?

9. yvonnegee

Response to Tarq57 :oops: Very red faced

That was my recollection at the time, but I had saved to a different folder!!!!

Apologies to Javacool for the appearance of casting aspersions...

yvonnegee

10. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

Hello. I emailed SAS last night (before reading this thread) to ask if I can install over my existing SAS or if I should uninstall first. I've attached a link to their response which basically matches your instructions except they caution that rebooting after uninstalling is "essential". I don't see the rebooting step listed above, so thought I'd submit this post. Hopefully it doesn't sound nit-picky. The intent is to mitigate problems anyone might otherwise have.

http://www.superantispyware.com/supportfaqdisplay.html?faq=47

Edited: My bad. I'm confusing this with SpywareBlaster. My apologies.

11. mlurp

mlurp Registered Member

I just got it u[grades auto updates ands the newer version. And back into the site sense 2003. Also upgraded the free Lavasoft Ad-Aware. And another smart move. I noticed I needed to get the plug ins. Awww isn't a PC great... looool

12. Swrtree

Swrtree Registered Member

An email seems to have done the trick, although my ISP did not write back and confirm they had it blocked.

Thank you for your advice and a great program:)

13. rmarinie

rmarinie Registered Member

My BIOS version is 1.1.4.

14. Sxy

Sxy Registered Member

Nice new interface. I hope it works as well as it looks. :)

Glad I found this forum too. It's full of information and nice people.

Thanks all! Nice to meet you. ;)

-Sxy

15. mandrewwhiteman

mandrewwhiteman Registered Member

I did as you suggested and installed run times, rebooted and installed SpywareBlaster 4.0. The install told me there was a file for Spyywareblaster 4.0 even though I uninstalled the previous versions. I continued with the install. When I ran Spywareblaster, I got the same bluescreen error. This laptop has WinME and IE6. Could that be a conflict?
    Thanks,
    Andy Whiteman

16. mlurp

mlurp Registered Member

Just got it last week and paid for the auto updates. Been using it for years. Go Java Cool.

17. Chrisnl

Chrisnl Registered Member

Thnx

SpywareBlaster 4.0 works great!!

Keep up te good work, and thnx for keeping the program "free" to use.

Greetings from Holland.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2008
  18. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

An observation is that the auto-update feature for paid versions still does not work in version 4 through my Firewall/proxy.

A question... is there still an issue between XP, Outlook & Spyware Blaster where we should disable the restricted site protection?

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Welcome Aboard! :D

20. AndTheWolf

AndTheWolf Registered Member

Javacool, Can you throw any light on my ver 4 problem on WinXP (Post "SpywareBlaster 4.0 - No window", 8 March), which has the same symptoms as fizzyxl's on Vista ( Post "Running in taskmanager, but no sign of life!")? Each of has 2 SB tasks in task manager, but no SB window. :(

21. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hello,

have u tried an uninstall, reinstall of v4.0 for this issue?

snowbound

22. benferson

benferson Registered Member

Hey, the new version looks great! I have a question, though. You said that the silent .MSI version would possibly be available in the future, and I was wondering if you could tell me about when that might come out (or when it does come out). Thanks!

-=BEN=-

23. AndTheWolf

AndTheWolf Registered Member

Several times, snowbound. It hasn't helped.

24. Bugga

Bugga Registered Member

Hi
    I receive a memory read error when SWB tries to load the firefox protection database. Windows XP (SP2) all patches applied. Only happens on one of the machines I use. I've checksummed the database files and they are identical on all boxes. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling and no change in behavior.

Thoughts?

Cheers
    Bugga

25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.