SpywareBlaster 4.0 released!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by javacool, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robinb

robinb Registered Member

I saw that explanation in the help part but i want it in laymans terms.
    Do I need to do a snapshot even if i do not run spybot s&D, I use superantispyware and avg antispyware?

and is a snapshot really necessary?

robin

2. rmarinie

rmarinie Registered Member

This version still seems to have problems with DEP (Data Execution Prevention) on Vista (as did 3.5.1). I have to make an exception for this program or else it crashes. Vista reports the following on crash:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: spywareblaster.exe
    Application Version: 4.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 47c6454c
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_b468
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
    Exception Code: c0000096
    Exception Offset: 01793a1d
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: b468
    Additional Information 2: 7a16977c22b84b265131767838fc2f29
    Additional Information 3: 2991
    Additional Information 4: edd6a8cd6c174fa2d187225442a9fe45

3. Bingham67

Bingham67 Registered Member

Hi i done clean install of Spyware blaster downloaded updates its saying 9683 items in database.

Now im using Vista and i swear on XP i remember more in database then that i thought it was problem with old Spyware blaster and it not having Vista support.

Is this correct ? anyone with any ideas thanks in advance. :)

4. robinb

robinb Registered Member

my vista says 9683
    my xp pro says 9683

robin

5. robinb

robinb Registered Member

I am using it on vista home premium and the program is not crashing when double clicking the icon.

robin

6. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Here you go :cool:
    No, it's an additional feature like the host file backup and Flash killer.

7. Bingham67

Bingham67 Registered Member

Ah right cheers i thought there was more maybe not. :)

8. robinb

robinb Registered Member

Does it hurt to do it occasionally? or do it at all? or can this feature be just left alone.

robin

9. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

It's entirely up to u. It's just another layer of protection within SWB in case of possible future infection.

snowbound

10. robinb

robinb Registered Member

thank you snowbound :)

robin

11. yvonnegee

yvonnegee Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I have been using SpyBlaster for years now, and find it a simple reassuring program. I have never had any problems with it.

Yesterday when I could no longer update the 3.5.1 version I opted to upgrade to 4.0. I did a "clean" install as recommended, but had saved both the 3.5.1 installer and the 4.0 installer before uninstalling the older version. The uninstal removed both installers!

A new download produced an apparently successful installation, but I can no longer update manually. I have tried using every update option provided. Without the alternative download method box ticked, I get the download timeline with a popup indicating unable to connect to server( On occasion there is a msec of a green line prior to the popup!). If I have the alternative download box ticked I simply get the message immediately with no attempt to download.

I am running XP Home, have no firewall running, but am behind a NAT hardware firewall set at low-medium. I run Avira AntiVir 7.06, SpyBot 1.4 (Teatimer turned off). I have tried reinstalling SpyBlaster 4.0 and turning the antivirus programs off temporarily. But no joy.

I have successfully downloaded a Win95 definition to check the access to the site. There is no problem connecting to any Javacool pages via the browser (IE7 or Firefox). I had no problem updating the 3.5.1. version. There has been no change in my software since the last SpyBlaster 3.5.1 update.

Do you have a link to an XP definition file download so I can check that link is not being blocked?

If I return to 3.5.1 will there be no further updates available?

Thanks for any advice

yvonnegee

12. rmarinie

By default, Vista does not enable DEP for all programs (because many older programs have this same problem) -- it is only enabled for Windows programs/services. However, it can be enabled for all programs in System->Advanced->Performance Settings->DEP. You can also specify an exception list (enable for all programs except those in the list), and currently SpywareBlaster is the only thing in my list.

13. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

Great to see a new version. Thanks.

14. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Dear Javacool,

Thank you so really very much !!! :thumb:

Your hard work is most definitely very much appreciated :D *puppy*

MD5 checksum of the installation file spywareblastersetup40.exe
    8138120C5CC3944B4D283E206CF009F6

15. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Can you please try again and let me know if you still have these updating issues? I've tweaked some settings server-side in the hopes that I can at least rule out potential causes.

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

16. javacool

Hi,

The new version of SpywareBlaster works fine here, on different Vista machines (with or without SP1), with hardware DEP fully enabled.

I'm not entirely sure why you're still seeing a DEP-related error. Could you possibly post the brand + model of the computer you're using? (Or, if you know it, the type of motherboard and/or version of your motherboard BIOS.)

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

17. Vaikz

Vaikz Registered Member

Hi Javacool,

I experienced the same problem as yvonnegee. I cant manually update the software, error connecting update server. Before i used windows firewall, on and off settings, cant update. right now im using online armor, same problem even though i grant access to the program. Im using nod32 antivirus.

Vaikz

18. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Just downloaded and installed this on XP for Sleipnir browser (also using Online Armor) no problem updating.

Thank you:)

19. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

While there were many improvements, the most obvious one to me is that I no longer grab a nap while waiting for the Firefox portion of "loading database". Many thanks for that one. :thumb:

20. rmarinie

My machine is a Dell Dimension C521 (AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+). I'm running Vista Ultimate 32-bit without SP1 (but with all updates available on Windows Update). I'm not sure what the BIOS version is, but I'm pretty sure I haven't updated it (the only BIOS update listed on Dell's support site for this model says "Enhanced compatibility for USB devices", so it doesn't sound relevant; but if you want me to try it I can).

21. yvonnegee

yvonnegee Registered Member

Hi Javacool,
    Thanks so much for the individual assistance.

Yes I have tried again several times. I have temporarily turned off all active anti-virus and firewall programs, including the hardware firewall, but still no joy. I thought initially it could be the pressure of downloads on your server with the new version 4.0. But no, it still will not update.

Clearly the correct download option for me is the default direct connection, but now sometimes when I use the "alternative" download option with direct connection, instead of receiving the can't connect popup immediately, I get a green 20% line with safe download header, before the Error connecting to server message is displayed. This is more likely to occur on first opening.

Most of the time it just seems to jump immediately to the error connecting message. With the standard download option, I get the popup window immediately with the 0% download line in the background.

Any further comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

yvonnegee

22. Swrtree

Swrtree Registered Member

I am unable to access updates. I noticed that the program says it is getting sbversion4.txt from www.spywareblaster.net Is this correct? I thought that updates had moved across to Javacool:doubt:

Win XP home

23. javacool

Hi,

Could you please take a screenshot (and attach it here) of the exact error message you are seeing?

Also, does a messagebox pop-up (with additional details) before the program notifies you of the error?

EDIT: And to check and see if it's a problem with your computer connecting to our update servers, or just the program itself, please try accessing the following link in your web browser: http://www.spywareblaster.net/sbversion4.txt

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

24. javacool

Hi,

"www.spywareblaster.net" is indeed the current site address that SpywareBlaster uses to check for updates.

Regarding your connection issues:
    -What other security/privacy software are you running? (Including anti-virus, firewall, anti-trojan, other anti-spyware, etc.)
    -What company provides your Internet access? (i.e. Your ISP)
    -What is the exact error message the program displays?

Also, please verify that the settings under the Updates -> Options section of SpywareBlaster are set to "Use a direct connection", and the "Use Alternative Download Method" box is unchecked.

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

25. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I hope the new installer allow slient install as well as slient update when install as well.

So that every person will get SpywareBlaster Protection.

I hope XP SP3 and IE8 / FF3 come soon. It is about time all my Windows XP friends Enjoy a better safer, faster and securer Internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.