SpywareBlaster 3.x Suggestions / Wishlist

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by javacool, Jan 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

i think AOL falls under IE IIRC. but if it doesn't AOL would be great thats the only thing my mom uses and i fear her getting spyware on the computers

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Please see here: http://www.javacoolsoftware.info/kb/idx/9/070/article/

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. landisd

landisd Guest

In the windows showing the individual items for a category, for example for InternetExplorer, you could display the status (protected/not) in a seaparte sortable column.

4. Joby1Kenobe

Joby1Kenobe Registered Member

Suggestion

I like your software. However, I have a small suggestion/request. I would like to see the program run in the system tray when the program is minimized. It would be most helpful, instead of going to the taskbar.

Thanks for listening

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  5. Astral_Nomad

Astral_Nomad Registered Member

hello folks..

Im new here but wanted to make a suggestion for the next update to spywareblaster..

one thing i would like to see is just an option in the settings. a checkbox would be nice to exclude any msn sites from the filters because as much as i like the program i find it really frustrating when i cant view a simple news article in msn from the msn hompage because spywareblaster has blacklisted it.. i know they have doubleclick.net tagged to them but it would be nice to have the checkbox for those of us that arent so concerned about doubleclick.. they are plastered all over the net anyways.. pretty hard to avoid them. that way those that are paranoid can stay paranoid and the rest of us can get on with life a bit more freely.. :)

thanks.

6. stein

stein Guest

Fully agree!

7. stein

stein Registered Member

SpywareBlaster is operating in a passive mode (it just gives IE a list of what to do, and IE obeys). That's why it cannot flash lights and pop up messages.

Therefore it would be nice to have a test site with harmless malware. You visit this site and get infected or not, depending on wether SpywareBlaster is working or not. Afterwards you scan with Spybot SD or Ad-Aware to see if you were infected. Then you would know if you are protected or not.

Regards, Stein

8. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hi Stein,

I love the idea of being able to test if protections are truly active, but I think JC has us covered. When you open SpyWareBlaster it tells you if you have any items unprotected. I have checked before by removing the kill bit compatability flag for an entry. When I opened swb it showed one item unprotected. When I enabled the protection then refreshed the screen in regedit it showed the killbit was there again.

about the other protections I don't know

- HandsOff

9. seaanemone

seaanemone Guest

opera version?

10. stein

stein Registered Member

A.

I wish the displayed blocking lists to reflect the actual registry settings (ActiveX Compatibility, P3P\History, ZoneMap\Domains) of all restricted sites. Not just the sites contained in SpywareBlaster's downloaded blocking lists.
    Then I could see domains entered manually or by Spybot Search & Destroy and other protection utilities.

However, since it is very useful to see which bad guys I'm NOT protected against, I want to keep the feature of displaying the list entries that are not blocked (missing in the above mentioned registry sections).
    It would be nice if all registry entries of blocked sites would merge with the SpywareBlaster list, so that the reminders of what is not blocked will include sites that are not originally on the SpywareBlaster lists.

Example:
    Let say I through Internet Explorer (Internet Options > Security > Restricted sites > Add) enters 'badguy.c0m'. In SpywareBlaster I will now see 'badguy.c0m' on the block list in the Restricted Sites section. Later I remove it from Internet Explorer Restricted Sites zone. But still it appears in the SpywareBlaster lists reminding me I am unprotected for this site.

B.

I also wish SpywareBlaster had the ability to add IE's current url to the blocking list.
    This way I could manually put a untrustworthy site (when I happen to run into one) into the 3 blocking lists.

Example:
    When surfing I happen to stop at 'badguy.c0m'. I suddenly see this is a unsafe place to visit. So I open SpywareBlaster and hit the 'Add to Block Lists' button.

C.

What about adding the blocking lists to the machine level? Then users who have not yet installed protection will be protected. At least until they override the machine level list entries by entering the same site/url. And the administrator would have a much tighter control of the machine's seurity level.

And would it be useful to add the blocking lists to the registry's 'default_user'? Then creating new users will include protection for these users.

Regards,
    Stein

11. Drache

Drache Guest

Request: Manual updates downloadable from the website. I am unable to update my copy of SWB from behind the firewall(s) in place at my company.

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Please follow the below link where you will find this is already available. Look in the SpywareBlaster Tips: area....item # (1)

This link---> SpywareBlaster Troubleshooting and Tips & Tricks

13. That is the beginning of the slippery slope into the entire world spying on you.....now where's my tin-foil hat?

put this in your hosts file: 127.0.0.1 doubleclick.net

Another solution is firefox with adblock. Doubleclick.net is blocked with filterset "G" and still allows perfect surfing of M$'s site.

14. Carson

Carson Guest

This has been said before, so I am just placing it here for emphasis. I suggest you include just one or two new sentences (somewhere very obvious) to assure users that, yes, SpywareBlaster is indeed working. It is an EXCELLENT program, but it is so invisible--coupled with THE WAY IT DISPLAYS ITSELF ENABLING PROTECTION--that I am sure you have hundreds of people placing it on Startup or else running that display every single time they "want SpywareBlaster to start working".

What is so obvious for you devs is not at all obvious to us end-users. That is because we are very, very dumb.
    ;-)
    (j/k hee hee ~ or else because we know OTHER things! Thank you very much indeed.)

15. controler

controler Guest

Oh YES add a kernel driver like everyone else :D

16. fewclicksguy

fewclicksguy Guest

This gets my vote too. I like the program and it does about everything I'd like except allow me to toggle the FlashKiller easily.
    Please incorporate if you can.

17. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

One duplicate post removed - please do not make a thread in the forum and repost the same issue here in the wishlist.

18. mschall

mschall Registered Member

Add support for Netscape 8.0. Spywareblaster at one time supported Etscape 7.2.

19. jobeard

jobeard Guest

add release notes to the distribution or direct link from the product webpage.
    should not be necessary to find this forum (it's very good, don't misread this) to enumerate the changes.

20. FlashFlash

FlashFlash Guest

Please add these tracking Cookies to your base:

Tracking Cookie Object Recognized!
    Type : IECache Entry
    Data : or@real[1].txt
    TAC Rating : 3
    Category : Data Miner
    Comment : Hits:8
    Value : Cookie:eek:r@real.com/
    Expires : 10.03.2006 17:06:12
    LastSync : Hits:8
    UseCount : 0
    Hits : 8

Tracking Cookie Object Recognized!
    Type : IECache Entry
    Data : or@list[1].txt
    TAC Rating : 3
    Category : Data Miner
    Comment : Hits:10
    Value : Cookie:eek:r@list.ru/
    Expires : 08.04.2006 22:00:00
    LastSync : Hits:10
    UseCount : 0
    Hits : 10

21. gsanta

gsanta Guest

Add Netscape 8 Support

22. puddingalien

puddingalien Registered Member

Sometimes other programs undo spyware blaster's protection.

I think I caught ie-spyad doing it for 33 items, so I just emailed him about that.

But something else has done 253 items protection disabled, and I'll have to find what does that.

Request:
    -------
    Please have spyware blaster able to list the enabled and disabled separately and be able to save as txt file so it can be sent to those whose software accidentally disables spyware blaster's protection. This way a user does not have to search through the whole list for the red ones.

It would be best for the user to be notified at the time some other program
    disables a spyware blaster killbit and told what program did this! Otherwise it
    is only noticed if the user goes in and checks.

Makes me think malware could just as easily undo the protection?

I have the free version, so that is the one I am reporting on.

23. neska

neska Registered Member

Yessssss, I would like to know if you plan to add support for Opera the way you did for Firefox, that would be great.

24. Frants

Frants Registered Member

Hi! I don´t know where I shall contact SpywareBlasters programmer but...

I just liked to "tip" about www.impotato.com, could you but it on restricted sites? Because when my sister surfs on the swedish Harry Potter site, www.hogwarts.nu, I get DialerTrojans all the time from www.impotato.com. My antivirus is NOD32. Impotato.com is anyway a crap site. Just says "nothing" if you surf to www.impotato.com, but the servers contains viruses! Check it out! btw, it was in Internet Explorer I got the problems...

Isak

25. Zidane

Zidane Registered Member

As said here many times - I wish SpywareBlaster had Opera Internet Browser support :) I do not use IE except I absolutely have to and I do not use Mozilla, I am content with Opera. So if SB would protect Opera too, it would be absolutely great ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.