SpywareBlaster 3.2 doesn't detect my Mozilla 1.7

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by erobatino, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erobatino

    erobatino Registered Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2004
    Posts:
    2
    Hello all,

    I'm new to SpywareBlaster, but my initial install seems O.K. - EXCEPT that it won't recognize/protect my Mozilla 1.7 install. I started to try out the advice I saw in the "Mozilla 1.7 / Firefox not detected" thread, but when I renamed my registry.dat file I immediately "lost" the Mozilla profiles I was using (they're in a different directory than my Netscape 7.1 directory - maybe that's causing the detection problem?). I put back the registry.dat file and reinstalled Mozilla and everything's cool now except that I STILL don't have SpywareBlaster protection for Mozilla. Any suggestions? I'm running Win98SE (and my MSIE 6.0 SP1 IS protected).

    Thanks,

    Evan
     
  2. erobatino

    erobatino Registered Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2004
    Posts:
    2
    Finally got my SpywareBlaster to detect my Mozilla install (I'd also upgraded Mozilla from 1.7 to 1.7.2 to get the latest three Mozilla security updates). Bottom line: I believe a corrupt registry.dat file was preventing detection of Mozilla since, when I recreated this file it was about 4k in size (the original was about 1.2MB in size). Here's how I fixed the problem:

    Noted where all my Mozilla and Netscape profiles were installed (I have three Mozilla profiles and three corresponding Netscape profiles, so as to avoid possible corruption problems that could be caused by sharing them). You can do a find on "bookmarks.html" if you have trouble finding your own profiles. In particular, note the EXACT names of these profiles so you can make Mozilla (and Netscape, if applicable) rediscover them.

    Exited Mozilla and Netscape; renamed the registry.dat file to "registry.bkp" (this file is in the Mozilla subdirectory above your profiles).

    Restarted Mozilla; Profile Manager came up. Created a "new" profile with the same name as one of my existing Mozilla profiles and in the Mozilla/Profiles subdirectory. The profile was "created" (actually, recovered).

    Repeated the above procedure for my other two Mozilla profiles. Exited Mozilla, started Netscape 7.1, followed the above procedure to recover the Netscape profiles. When this was all done, I had a new registry.dat file that was about 4k in size.

    Started SpywareBlaster 3.2; removed all protections, exited SpywareBlaster. Went into Control Panel-Add/Remove Programs and removed SpywareBlaster. Then reinstalled SpywareBlaster, downloaded latest updates, and requested all protections. Mozilla 1.7.2 was detected - and protected - with no trouble this time.

    (Somehow, one of my Netscape profiles became unusable during the above; not sure how that happened. Small price to pay, since I rarely use Netscape any more now that I have Mozilla and SpywareBlaster protection on it :cool: , and the basic profile information seems to be there so I should be able to recreate it.)

    Thanks to the user in the other thread "Moxilla 1.7 / firefox not detected" for giving me the idea of recreating registry.dat.
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.