SpywareBlaster 3.2 and Firefox 1.0PR Again

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Nemo, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nemo

Nemo Registered Member

Sorry to bring this up again, but SpywareBlaster 3.2 simply does not recognize my Firefox 1.0PR.

I've read all the threads, and my problem seems to be going against the grain.
    I had no trouble with SB 3.2 and FF 0.9. It's only since I upgraded to FF 0.93 and now 1.0 PR that SB 3.2 does not detect FF.

FWIW, my FF specs are:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040913 Firefox/0.10.

My OS is Win2k Pro with SP4.

This is driving me nuts. All help will be very greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello Nemo,

I know you have "read all the threads", but check this thread out and see if it helps.

3. Nemo

Nemo Registered Member

Hi, Kent --

Thanks for your reply.

I did, in fact, read the thread you refer to. Unfortunately it is of no help. To quote the the OP there:

"To clarify, Spywareblaster doesn't seem to have any trouble detecting firefox (this was the problem with the older version of Spyware blaster and Firefox 0.9, and solved by Spyware blaster 3.2)."

My problem is just the opposite. SS 3.2 does NOT detect FF, and it hasn't since FF 0.93.

The rest of that thread talks about SS not doing proper blocking in FF, which is not my problem at all. For me, SS doesn't even see FF at all, so blocking is a moot point.

Thanks for the heads up, though. I do appreciate it.

Regards,

Nemo

4. Fats Navarro

Fats Navarro Registered Member

I'm with you. Just downloaded the new Firefox, but 3.2 does not believe it...

5. RandomUser

RandomUser Guest

As indicated in that other thread, I had initial difficulties getting SB 3.2 to work with Firefox 1.0PR, but they were resolved when Javacool pointed out what was going wrong -- the changes weren't being registered unless I had closed and restarted Firefox, and because I was adding stuff to the block list (which seemed unchanged), I was overwriting changes from SB before they registered.

Your problem of Firefox not being detected was not a problem I experienced (at least not after 3.2). But I will note that I'm using Win98SE with Spyware Blaster 3.2 and Firefox 1.0PR. Spyware Blaster 3.2 has no problem detecting Firefox 1.0PR on my system.

Nemo, however, indicates that he's using Win2KPro, so I'm not sure if it's an OS specific problem for him.

Of others who are using Firefox 1.0PR and Spyware Blaster 3.2 -- what operation systems are you using? Is there a definitive trend in the problems being OS specific?

6. MorrisNTex

MorrisNTex Registered Member

I'm having the same problem with Mozilla 1.7.1, Win2K, and SB 3.2.
    Went through the various threads related to Firefox problem but didn't find a solution.
    SB 3.1 saw my Mozilla just fine but when I upgraded to 3.2 (after following the upgrade instructions) SB no longer sees that I have Mozilla.

7. RandomUser

RandomUser Guest

Two suggestions -- upgrade your Mozilla 1.7.1 to the newest 1.7.3

SB 3.2 no longer detects the old structure of Firefox 0.8, but is geared to supporting the newer versions of Firefox. There may be a similar problem if the structure for Mozilla Suite has been changed as well, and SB 3.2 is geared for the newest structure.

Second suggestion, for Nemo and anyone else upgrading their browser, make sure you're doing a clean install with a clean profile -- so that you're not hanging onto the old structure. Back up your bookmarks, uninstall the old version, wipe out the old traces -- not just the obvious folder in Programs, but also the data files and profiles located either in your Application Data in Profiles in the Windows directory(Win9:cool:, or Document Settings (WinXP). You can find more information and help about doing a clean install in the Mozillazine.org Forums.

8. JemW

JemW Registered Member

Using:

Firefox 1.0 PR
    XP / SP2
    Spyware Blaster 3.2

No problems. :)

Jem

9. Nemo

Nemo Registered Member

Hello, Random User --

Your suggestion to do a clean install was right on point. I am very grateful to you for the advice and info. It helped me, and I am sure it will also help others here with the same problem I was having. SB 3.2 and FF 1.0 PR are now happily existing together on my system. FWIW, please see my later post below for more info on how I proceeded here following your advice..

Thanks again. Best regards to you.

Nemo

10. Nemo

Nemo Registered Member

Hi, Fats --

Please see my response to Random User and my later post as to how to fix this problem. It worked for me, and I hope it works for you.

BTW -- I really dig your trumpet playing, man. :)

Take care.

Nemo

11. Nemo

Nemo Registered Member

Following Random User's post of 20 Sep 04, I did a clean install of FF 1.0 PR.

I fooled with this stuff for several days and tried a variety of approaches to see what would work and what would not. It was very tedious, to say the least, but successful.

First back up your bookmarks, and your userChrome.css, userContent.css, and user.js files. If you are using the Launchy extension with a launchy.xml file, you can also back up the launchy.xml file.

Now completely uninstall Firefox, and delete the FF directory as well as your profile directory and subdirectories. Install FF 1.0 PR. Go ahead and install all your extensions from scratch ( I know it's a pain, but you have to do it.) Finally, you can copy your backed-up bookmarks and your userChrome.css, userContent.css, and user.js files, as well as your launchy.xml file, if applicable, to the appropriate subdirectories of your user profile. Do NOT try to back up and restore any other files from the deleted profile. This is what causes the problems. With the exception of the files explicitly named above, everything else must be from scratch.

This has worked beautifully for me. SB 3.2 now recognizes FF w/o a problem.

I hope it works for you.

Good luck.

Again, my sincerest thanks to Random User.

Nemo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.