SpywareBlaster 3.1 released!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by javacool, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry666

Jerry666 Registered Member

[3.1 all i get is BSOD when it installs and tries to run . no luck .
    win 98 se

2. rogerwilco

rogerwilco Registered Member

Not here! Poor v3.1 can't get past startup before Windows announces a "problem" which it doesn't specify. So 3.1 joins 3.0 as unusable in this machine: Mac 10.3.3/Virtual PC 6.1/WinXP with all updates installed. Yuk. Tried everything mentioned so far.
    :(

3. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

Thanks javacool :)

4. basa

basa Registered Member

Hmmm..........3.1 installed and runs fine on my W98SE with Avast, whereas 3.0 presented no GUI (but no other problems such as crashes BSOD etc.)

I did remove all protection and registry entries before un-installing 2.6.1 though...could be the solution ??

Last edited: Apr 11, 2004
  5. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Thank-you Javacool, I too would like a safe way to pay you for your hard work and great programme. ;)

6. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Dear Java cool, Just to say Ver 3.1 is up and running on my Win XP AND Win 98 SE without any problems. Bug fixed!!
    Thanks Gordon

7. frebo

frebo Registered Member

3.1 works fine on this pc, but cant seem to find an update on 3.1 that i saw on another forum.

8. ajg

ajg Registered Member

Hi,

Just replaced SB-3.0 with 3.1. Now when I fire up SB it takes fully 13 minutes to load the protection data. The majority of the time is is taken up by loading the mozilla data.

Is this long loading time expected or have I done something wrong? 3.0 loading was much faster.

ENV: Win98se, Mozilla 1.6
    Thanks

AJG

9. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Whoa! Something isn't right there.

When you say the majority of the time is spent when it's loading the mozilla data, is that as it is determining how many items are protected/unprotected? (i.e. after the green progress bar stops moving, but as the "Data loading..." messages are being replaced with "0 items unprotected")

Also, how many Mozilla profiles do you currently have? Have you created/removed lots of profiles?

Thanks,

-Javacool

10. ajg

ajg Registered Member

Q: When you say the majority of the time is spent when it's loading the mozilla data, is that as it is determining how many items are protected/unprotected?
    (i.e. after the green progress bar stops moving, but as the "Data loading..." messages are being replaced with "0 items unprotected")

A: Yes!

Q: Also, how many Mozilla profiles do you currently have?

A: One!

Q: Have you created/removed lots of profiles?

A: Have created and removed one.

AJG

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am running Win98 with 128 MB of memory. I followed instructions for running unprotect all and deinstalled 3.0. I installed 3.1. When I run I immediately get "runtime error 7, out of memory". Am I out of luck and need more memory on my system?

Thanks,

robert.harrison@sun.com

12. javacool

SpywareBlaster may take a bit to verify protection for Mozilla/Firefox, but it certainly shouldn't take 13 minutes. o_O

A few more questions for you:
    Have you ever installed a version of Firefox?
    How fast is your computer's processor?

Can you also check under C:\Windows\Profiles\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla and see how large the registry.dat file is?
    (At the same time, please check to see if "Firefox" and "Phoenix" folders exist under that Application Data folder.) Thanks! :)

EDIT: And a little notice: SpywareBlaster's Mozilla protection will only work with Mozilla 1.7 and up (not 1.6, unfortunately - there were some major changes in the 1.7 version, and since that will be the new long-lived stable branch I decided to go ahead and support it - there's a very stable beta version available now).

Best regards,

-Javacool

13. ajg

ajg Registered Member

Things have changed since last post.

First I deleted my netscape 7.1 thinking that this may be a problem. Mozilla 1.6 continued to work well.

Re-ran SB but this time it did not find Mozilla and thus no protection for it.

When SB was fired up it gave me a blank dialog box which persisted for about 4 minutes. Then it loaded IE and Restricted protection and did not detect Mozilla (1.6 at that time).

After reading you post I replaced M-1.6 with M-1.7b. I uninstalled and reinstalled SB. SB performace was the same as described above (4 minute wait before display and could not find mozilla 1.7b.

Then enabling "all" protection took the same 4 minutes and of course no Moziilla protection.

Now to respond:

Q: SpywareBlaster may take a bit to verify protection for Mozilla/Firefox, but it certainly shouldn't take 13 minutes. o_O

A: Yes now it may be faster but Mozilla was not found.

Q: Have you ever installed a version of Firefox?

A: No.

Q: How fast is your computer's processor?

A: 800 MHz

Q: Can you also check under C:\Windows\Profiles\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla and see how large the registry.dat file is?

A: There is *no* registry.dat file there. Also C:\Windows...\<username> is the only folder and is different from the profile name being used by mozilla. o_O??

Q:(At the same time, please check to see if "Firefox" and "Phoenix" folders exist under that Application Data folder.) Thanks! :)

A: No.

EDIT: And a little notice: SpywareBlaster's Mozilla protection will only work with Mozilla 1.7 and up (not 1.6, unfortunately - there were some major changes in the 1.7 version, and since that will be the new long-lived stable branch I decided to go ahead and support it - there's a very stable beta version available now).

Gottit - Diddit.

Many thanks.

Andy

Last edited: Apr 12, 2004
  14. rogerwilco

rogerwilco Registered Member

Javacool wrote:

Well, here goes...again,

Neither 3.0 nor 3.1 will run on my XP system. Couldn't be because I'm running XP on Virtual PC for Mac (Mac OS 10.3.3). Old 2.6.1 worked fine.

The error message says only that Windows has encountered a "problem" with SB and has shut it down immediately. The details window adds nothing new.

I'm using the full retail version of XP Home. All protection is disabled and all previous evidence of SB trashed before installing 3.1 several times over before giving up again.

Any ideas would be most appreciated. SB is one essential program!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2004
  15. javacool

Actually, the problem probably is caused by you running Win XP under Virtual PC for Mac.

Let me see if I can find a Mac machine around here (with Virtual PC), and test it out. I may be able to come up with a solution for you.

Best regards,

-Javacool

16. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    INFORMATION ONLY

Old SpywareBlaster - no problems
    3.0 - no problems
    3.1 - no problems
    98SE 450mHz/320RAM

17. Robert Worrill

Robert Worrill Registered Member

Greetings All,

I just installed this latest version and since then I have been unable to log into my ICQ email. Is there any chance that this could have been caused by the new update? I have been trying now for four days to find out why I can't log on but to no avail. I am not at all sure that it is the update that is causing the problem but none of my other email sites, I have 5 more, are having any problems and I have cleared all the usual cookies, temp internet files and index.dat but nothing will allow me to log on! It seems that my computer may not be accepting the cookie from ICQ but I can't locate which one on the list in Spyware Blocker is causing the problem. Any help appreciated.

regards Rob.

18. trparky

trparky Registered Member

May I ask what programming language it was developed it?

19. masterwriter

masterwriter Guest

I just wondered why version 3 was updated to 3.1 so soon and will this be changed again soon. Nice interface. Had a small problem with 3 on updates once but then it worked fine and 3.1 runs the update fine but no updates are available. have defs 7 April. Is this the latest
    Thanks for SB

20. tgebling

tgebling Registered Member

I am using version 3.1 now. It seems to be a very good software program. But I would like to offer one suggestion. It would be very helpfull if the program had a search function so a person could type in a name of a spyware threat like "cws.googlems.3" then the program would check and see if that spyware was in its data base and being blocked.

I am saying all this because I also use PestPatrol on my system. When I last ran that program it found "cws.googlems.3" on my computer, I removed it off my system, then went to SpywareBlaster to see if I would be protected from furture attacks. But their was no easy way to look through all the spyware that your program protests from. I still do not know if I am protected from "cws.googlems.3".

You are providing a very much needed service to us internet users, keep up the good work!

21. ajg

ajg Registered Member

Recently I said that I did not have have registry.dat file. However I finally found it in a different location:

C:\Windows\Application Data\mozilla\registry.dat size = 40,697 kB.

Does anay of this mean anything?

AJG

22. Veronica

Veronica Guest

Re: SpywareBlaster 3.1 released! or I HATE Progress!!

Well..it looks to me like my Spywareblaster career is over

I didn't realise I had to uninstall my 2.6 first, and I got an error message saying
    that either my hard drive was damaged, or there was a virus around

Then I thought.."maybe I should have uninstalled first"
    So I used 'add/remove'
    Then installed 3.1
    Same error message

I re-installed 2.6 (but of course the database is way old, and of course, I now cannot update, unless I use 3.1)
    2.6 opened normally, as I have come to rely on

One attempt at loading 3.1 was successful without the error message, until I tried to open it the following day, to update the database

Grrrrrrr!!
    I DETEST progress!!!
    I wish geniuses would allow me to keep using 2.6 forever, and leave me alone in my bliss!

Veronica

23. TheApostate

TheApostate Registered Member

Re: SpywareBlaster 3.1 works on Win98se

Well, javacool, I've downloaded and installed the latest version and like it so far. It's a very different version to the earleir incarnations, but in a nice way :)

TheApostate

24. petersil

petersil Registered Member

Re: SpywareBlaster 3.1 BUG - doesn't recognize Mozilla

I had no issues with any past releases, including 3.0, but ver. 3.1 DOES NOT recognize Mozilla (1.6) or Firefox, so the protection is disabled. How about a fixo_Oo_O :'(

25. ajg

ajg Registered Member

Re: SpywareBlaster 3.1 BUG - doesn't recognize Mozilla

I had same problem - You need to update Mozilla to 1.7b.

Cheers,

AJG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.