spywareblaster 2.6 update of 8-22-03

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by big ed, Aug 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big ed

big ed Registered Member

I have downloaded the 8-22-03 update for sb 2.6 numerous times. Each time the indication is that it was successful. There are no highlighted items indicated in the bad guy listing and if I hit update again 8-22-03 update shows up again. The only way I can launch sb is with the icon (shortcut) on my desktop. Is this OK. Hopefully I have explained my conundrum properly.

Thanks, Ed

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi big ed,

Welcome at Wilders. :)

In the main screen of SpywareBlaster you'll find "Database Info"
    Does the Items count show 694 ?

As to launching SpywareBlaster: are you aware of the fact that the program does not have to be running in order to protect you?
    The only reason you need to start it up is to check for updates.

HTH,

Pieter

3. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Hi Pieter,

I have 682 items. Now what?

I was aware that I didn't have to launch SB. I was confused at only having a shortcut icon to launch for updates.

Thanks, big ed

Confucius say, "Who say all the things they say I say."

4. Pieter_Arntz

Hi big ed,

Ah. I think I know what you mean. There is no shortcut in Start > Programs.
    Am I right?
    Could you remove SpywareBlaster in Software > Add/Remove Programs,
    download a new copy and install again?
    If I remember correctly you can choose during install which shortcuts you want. It might also help solve the update problem.

Regards,

Pieter

5. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Hi Pieter,

I am about to do as you suggested. My young Guru, who usually has to rescue me after one of my faux pas, recently threatened me with bodily harm if I do anything to my puter without his OK. I won't tell him if you don't . If you do not hear from me shortly either I cooked the goose or I got caught and am now in traction.

Thanks, big ed (5' 4")

Ignorance is bliss

6. Pieter_Arntz

ROFL

Just tell him you got harassed by a 6' 2" Dutchman who practically forced you to do it. ;)

In case it backfires, I live in Nevermorrowland.

Regards,

Pieter

7. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Hi Pieter,

I'm Baaaak. I would have been back sooner but I kept getting thrown off the net by my ISP. They claimed that the reason was either my modem or that the planets are not alligned properly. I'm inclined to go with the planet thing.

I did the uninstall ( from the control panel) and install 3 times, tried update each time, and then went to the liquor cabinet to find solace. When I returned it still refused to function.

The sb window reads - Date 6/27/03 - Items 512 (less now) and when I choose update, the updates shown are 8/22, 7/28, and (2)8/3. Is this weird or does it just seem so due to my trip for refreshments.

Thanks, big ed

When your mind goes, forget it.

8. Pieter_Arntz

Hi big ed,

Can I blame it on the planets too? ;)
    I´m not sure from your story what happens when you use the "Download updates" button.

Regards,

Pieter

9. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Well, those dates are correct (the different files were updated at different times - the most recent, of course, is the spyware protection database - the oldest is the extra info database).

EDIT: If the download still isn't working, could you please go to the Settings area of the program, check the box marked "Use Alternative Download Method", and Save the Settings? Then please let me know if the updates work. Thanks!

Best regards,

-Javacool

10. big ed

big ed Registered Member

:D :D :D :D :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Hey Pieter,

Viola! I did the setting thingy and lo and behold I got the updates. If there is a place in Heaven reserved for Puter Gurus, you and Daddy Cool just got your tickets punched.

I really appreciate the help and if it first appeared to you that I have no clue puter wise, you are a fine judge of people. You and Judge Judy have no peers!

Thanks, big ed

Code:

No good deed ever goes unpunished

11. Pieter_Arntz

Hi big ed,

Well, in this case I just tried to keep you busy and away from the liquor until the big man came along to fix your problem. ;)

Anyway, glad we could help.

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.