Spyware What is Recommended These Days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by myers1984, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

As per the original poster's request:

Aside from other software, it's useful to have something that will warn you if a site is dangerous -like, for example, a place to get infected.

One example of this kind of software is McAfee's (? it's freely available) SiteAdvisor, or a similar thing that Zonealarm offers. There are a few other alternatives. I'd like to point out that they MAY PERHAPS collect data that you don't want them to collect.

They don't offer complete safety, but at least when McAfee's SiteAdvisor's icon is RED, you know to stay away from the website in question.

And often overlooked: patch your system (If you have a Microsoft OS, use Microsoft Update, more comprehensive than Windows Update), get rid of vulnerabilities like your old shockwave or Java player and install the latest versions, if desired. If you're not a computer novice, check out www.secunia.com from time to time. And regardless of the web browser you use, set the security settings to at least average, preferably a bit higher.

Some people use imaging software, for security purposes and other issues. I don't know much about that.

2. practicalguy

practicalguy Registered Member

I'd say Spyware Doctor is not out of favor.

IMO Spyware Doctor is the best a cleaning up all the remnants of malware.

I've typed up step by step instructions to download and install spyware doctor starter edition thats provided for FREE as part of the google pack. I run the paid for version but this is great for family and friends that won't spend any money despite my nagging :)

Instructions are here:
    http://www.security-tech-reviews.com/download-install-google-pack-spyware-doctor.html

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I would NEVER buy a product made by Pctools, especially the Spyware Doctor. I once liked it, but then version 5 came and everything went to hell.

The 'attempts' to 'fix' the problem often caused new problems, parts of the program (siteguard, for example) were removed. I don't know how stable the latest version is. But I wouldn't try it, not even if they paid me to use it !
    If you want to give that program a try, I suggest you take a good look at what's at their forum. The free version has fewer definitions, what good is an antispyware program that way ? And keep in mind that it may be VERY resource hungry.

And there is the fact of the unscrupulous business ethics of Pctools. The 'first official of version 5' was really a very bad beta. Please, also keep in mind that you're automatically signed up for their auto-renewal program (continuous subscription) and that it sometimes can be difficult to get out of that. Watch your credit card statement !

4. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Well Spy Sweeper is VERY resource hungry as well.

And what do you mean by looking at their forums?

Thanks

5. Someone

Hi

I'd say it depends on what you mean. Obviously the majority of Wilders don't like it, but in the general population it is one of the most popular anti-spywares.

Personally I don't like it because it uses WAY too much resources and the free version on has 1/3 of the shareware version signatures.

SAS and MBAM are much better choices.

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I really like Spyware Terminator. It has improved dramatically and now has the fastest "quick scan" of any AS I've tried. The speed really helps when I'm cleaning systems for other people and it does a good job of detecting and removing some pretty stubborn bugs. Some people don't like it because it has an optional toolbar, but I simply choose to not install it.

7. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I have not tried ST, but I've read that it's main added-value is the real-time protection, and that the on demand is not the best. Don't really know.
    SAS and MBAM give me great results when cleaning computers.
    BTW, MBAM's quick scan is only 2:30 mins on my laptop (80GB).

8. avg_fan

avg_fan Registered Member

The anti-spyware engine is now included in all AVG 8.0 products, incluing the new AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0.

AVG has combined the anti-virus and anti-spyware engines in the AVG 8.0 product range to improve efficiency.

9. avg_fan

avg_fan Registered Member

SiteAdvisor is a blacklist based solution that can never be up-to-date, especially as web exploits are so transient.

The LinkScanner safe search and surf technology now included with AVG 8.0 products provides real-time protection against web exploits.

The safe search part of LinkScanner is even included in AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0.

10. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Spyware Terminator
    Spyware Blaster

11. Fly

Fly Registered Member

My experience with the Spy Sweeper (the version without antivirus) is that it's not a resource hog at all. But I suppose that depends on your setup of hardware and software, and how the software is configured and used.

Pctools has a forum for their various products. Just go to the website, it should be easy to find.

12. Someone

I know they have a forum, I've been there. My point is, what are you trying to show by going to their forums?

13. Fly

Fly Registered Member

If you take a look at their forums, you'll notice the MASSIVE list of problems/issues.

14. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I generally recommend against spyware. ;)

ZoneAlarm AntiVirus with the extended databases enabled keeps my system clean.

15. Someone

yes, that's what I thought you were trying to say. But my point is, the point of forums are for users to report issues, so of course every forum will have reports of problems. That's what forums are for. So that only tells you there are many people who use Spyware Doctor who have the time to report them, NOT that it is a bad application. Just my humble opinion.

16. inpersonam

inpersonam Registered Member

MBAM? Please translate.

17. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

18. inpersonam

What about CounterSpy? Is that in favour?

My experience of Spyware Doctor was that it seemed to report every innocuous cookie as spyware, and more objectively that it gave rise to a series of about 20 error reports on closing the gui, which I had to ok my way out of. I reported this long ago, and it was acknowledged as a known fault, so I was astonished when it had still not been fixed with the most recent version.

Spysweeper seemed to interfere with the operation of some disk cloning software I used called cms bounceback. I had to restore my system by overwriting it from an image file. Spysweeper seemed to have a good interface, but software clashes can cause so much trouble that I am inclined to steer clear of Spysweeper.

Counterspy lacks the ability to program custom scans, so that a full scan, which means one that is not restricted to particular file types, must scan all of my 12 hard drives, whereas a quick scan, which can be programmed, only checks a limited range of file types. I would be more interested if I could program custom scans.

I have had not trouble with SuperAntiSpyware. I wonder whether to have another antispyware program on board for the sake of thoroughness, but not much is being detected by CounterSpy at the moment. I currently have SuperAntiSpyware installed, and the antispyware protection that comes with Eset Nod32.

19. inpersonam

20. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Well, in the context of the forum/thread, I would have thought it was a bit obvious what it refers to.

Attached Files:

21. inpersonam

Thankyou - it is obvious when you have read the entries through. Please excuse my exasperation with acronyms - but they can be very uninformative.

22. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

You're welcome. I understand the exasperation. But 'tis the way things are, currently, whether one like it or not.
    I guess what my post was really saying was "let Google be your friend."

23. Someone

Hi

Well currently Wilders likes SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, as they are both light and good at detecting real world threats and have good support.

24. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I experienced how terrible version 5 of the Spyware Doctor could be. And some subsequent 'improvements'', losing one's internet connection being a rather serious downside !

And there is the issue of business ethics.

25. Someone

Hi

I personally also don't like Spyware Doctor. My point is, you can't judge it because of the amount of forum problems. It IS bad (IMHO), but not because of the forum problems. It's because of the bloat and inferior detection and business ethics, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.