Spyware Terminator 2.5 Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by nomarjr3, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

2. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

Hmm a real classical style hips from Crawler, who would have thought.

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

THX,

I will trial it on my play PC, without the HIPS.

Current defense

a) Router
    b) Spyberus free
    c) Avira free
    d) Spyware Terminator free

Will do some dodgy browsing and report after some time :D

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Took it for a short test drive its Not bad and very light.Here the hips in action while installing comodo.The advanced tab is show here for greater detail.

Attached Files:

5. Halo326

Halo326 Registered Member

The last time I tried ST it used alot of memory. What are the 2 services using up?

6. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I have not thought of check the CPU but it feels much lighter then 2.0.No longer on board, I tested it on a none test machine so the stay was very short.

7. Halo326

Halo326 Registered Member

Wonder how this will run along side NIS 2009.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

To be honest i've not really taken ST seriously for much more than it's real-time modules display which is great for those like me who can tolerate all the massive info on what's actively loading all the time. I find that feature to my liking.

But in all fairness, this HIPS (formerly a scanner only) seems to have evolved over time and i would hope it can prove out to be just as useful as any other HIPS 100% of the time.

So, i think i'll take the plunge myself and see whats new and whats changed as well as tax it's ability to ward off some of my samples.

Thanks for the beta notice on ST.

EASTER

9. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

Let us know how the testing goes Easter. I for one am curious.

10. Kees1958

Same here,

So far it is working very well on a XP Pro running as Power User. I changed Avira for Avast, because I wanted matching ICON colours :D (no real reason is that Avira defaults on ignore, while Avast defaults on delete ;), thought that this might be confusion fo rmain user of this PC).

Until now in testing it (in experienced user mode with HIPS on) gives less pop-ups as Windows Defender. So from a usability point of view that is a real feat. Compared to other user friendly programs as ThreatFire, it throws more pop-ups, but then again it uses a lot less CPU.

It is a pity ST 2.5 is cheating a little, a lot of POC's are marked as threats, so it has to be tested with real malware.

Regards Kees

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I have to go off-air during daytime hours because thats the plan i'm on, but let it be known, after i shut down this morning, i'm going to insert one of my other HD's and examine this beta's actions. If any concerns or limitations i think needs shared i'll be sure to pass those along tommorrow nite.

Good Morning and results later, hopefully positive!

EASTER

12. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

If I use Spybot search & Destroy, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Spyware Blaster and SuperantiSpyware, would I need Spyware Terminator?

13. Someone

Someone Registered Member

IMHO not the on-demand part, but you could use the real-time.

14. kapitan

kapitan Registered Member

I'm using Spyware Terminator for a while, so I decided to test this beta version. I didn't discovered any changes in main window except some settings, but the realtime shield changed rapidly. Alerts look much more better than in previous version. There are basic and advanced mode, where advanced is for more educated users in spyware world and it's transparent and easy to use. I didn't try a basic mode for longer time. It seems little bit useless for me. Did you try it anybody, so that I can recommend it to more not so skillful people?

15. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

FWIW, SAS paid version DOES have "real time " protections. Under NO conditions would a user want multiple real time ASW's active. There is much posted in the forums about this silent conflict issue. It is similar to but not identical with NOT having 2 AV's active on the same PC.

So, that being the case users would be well advised to:

1) If you have Spybot S and D with tea timer active NOT to have SAS paid active, so choose one or the other not both.

2) Choose your active/real time ASW SW, and keep all other ASW's in reserve as on demand scanners.

For the record I have SAS real time active and sometimes do scans with any others so that would include ST release or beta.

If Easter produces a report when he has time that should be interesting.

16. kapitan

kapitan Registered Member

I figured out that ST 2.5 Beta denies access for some actions in Basic mode, but I find a recomendation to activate install mode during installation. It looks like a good protection for basic users inspite of being little bit annoying.

17. Someone

Someone Registered Member

I was assuming Truthseeker was using SAS free? BTW do you have a link to the silent conflict issue?

Thanks

18. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I haven't time to hunt for the posts here on WSF but the key would be in the learning threads for FW's or do a search on mine or Stems id for posts with key words "conflict". Many users challenge the idea because they see no GUI level symptoms but if I understand Stems advice earler on this stuff is it occurs at the kernel level. The two products each try for a "block" crash and then neither is effective. A case where more tools is NOT better than one not being interferred with. The only other advice I can offer, not that anybody asked was to ensure these tools all exclude each other form their own protection.

So in my own case I have SAS excluding Nod 32 and Nod 32 excluding SAS and so on. Also have to do this for OA.

Hope this helps:cool:

19. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Really? It defaults to "Access Deny" for me. I wish it did default to ignore.

20. Kees1958

Whatever it was confusing for my wife

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yeap.i also tried yesterday but i think they need to change the oil in this vehicle:) it looks alitle confusing to my wife also(well she already complain):D
    any way it is getting better for a freebie so :thumb: :thumb:

22. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Why do you always blame your wives? ;)

/C.

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

CAUSE THEY ARE HAPPY CLICKERS and dont care when they click or dont understand what they are clicking:D SHE already complain.(thats why)

24. 337

337 Registered Member

A pretend penny for your thoughts?:thumb:

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I keep no secrets except only honestly to specialized security developers that i offer my allegiance in return for their sharing vital data & programs in works and stick to it to not to post summary or screenshots to their latest projects, but i am in the process of relocating very soon, hopefully before Thanksgiving to the Blizzard zone regions up north so i can continue my research and devote a concentrated effort in helping (i hope) improve Windows security for those programmers who place their trust in me.

Looking forward to getting snowed in and throw all my attention even more into my contributions to this end on behalf of everyone who deserves absolute protection for their computer investments.

I really enjoy this work more then ever before.

EASTER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.