Spyware Terminator 2.0 Beta out now!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Relemar, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hmmm.
    I see a major difference in the beta I installed last week and the beta I installed today.
    It looks like the shields can not be disabled without ST beta trying to start them up.
    The first "unofficial" beta had no problem when I disabled the shields.
    Or am I missing something?

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I hope they are addressing the "Clam Antivirus (Disabled)" problem, wherein Clam Antivirus Integration is checkmarked in both places in the ST Center, under Settings ("Use WinClamAVShield for integration" and "Integrate ClamAV in Realtime Shield"), but the right-click menu that results from clicking on the ST icon in the systray keeps saying ClamAV is Disabled.

Sometimes I have to click five or six times to get it to be Enabled, and a reboot reverts it to Disabled all over again.

I am pretty sure that this is a known issue. I hope it gets fixed.

3. Tokar

Tokar Registered Member

@The Tester: I dont follow. Can you look at this post I made here: http://forum.spywareterminator.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1456

It is a simple guide on using CamStudio to do a motion screencapture of your computer. It outputs an uncompressed AVI movie.

Could you please make a video showing yourself performing the issue? You can either post it to some filesend service or you can post it on our forum. Either way works.

@Page 42: To enable ClamAV from the system tray context menu, the HIPS must both be checked and have the text (Enabled) next to it.

When you first enable HIPS it has to build a database. Unlike earlier versions of ST where a Full Spyware Scan was required to enable HIPS, all that is required now to enable it is some time to let it build a database. When it is building a database it will say "HIPS (Building database)". When it is done it will change to "HIPS (Enabled)". At that point you can enable ClamAV without a problem.

4. the Tester

Here's what I'm talking about..
    I installed the unofficial beta version last week.Disabled the real-time shields before I updated and scanned.No problem.No calls out by ST.No alerts of a new program(ST) in the startup list.
    I uninstalled ST because it would not update to the newest beta version.

I rebooted,ran an registry cleaner,and then installed the latest beta.
    I disabled the real-time shields and got alerts from WinPatrol Plus notifying me that ST shields wanted to start up.This happened every time I started Spyware Terminator by clicking on the desktop icon.
    I have since uninstalled the latest beta.

5. Relemar

Relemar Registered Member

Tokar, I posted the "Official" release, this one I posted a while back.

6. Tokar

Tokar Registered Member

Which exact process was WinPatrol notifying you of?

SpywareTerminator.exe
    SpywareTerminatorShield.exe
    sp_rsser.exe
    STserver.exe (only installed if you install WSG+CT as this is a plugin exe for the toolbar)

7. the Tester

Spyware Terminator Shield.exe.

8. Tokar

Tokar Registered Member

Ive seen this in all previous versions.

SpywareTerminatorShield.exe is not malicious, it is just the ST Realtime shield memory process...the one which would watch for changes to the IE search pages, windows startup etc.

I think the problem is a bug, which no one has addressed to brought up to the development team (ive been with the company only a month and a 2 weeks now, and during the past several months Ive been using ST RTS+HIPS 100% of the time so I never saw this problem). I think most of our users on the forum use ST RTS+HIPS and would never experience this problem since they never disable RTS or HIPS.

I will bring this up internally and get an official response.

In the meantime, can you just get a couple screenshots of the process for me to submit if asked?

edit: I have reported this internally. it is 1:15AM EST now. The development team (in Czech Rep.) starts work around 2AM. I start work at 8:30AM :). If I don't see a reply when I wake up, I shall ask for a reply. I will report back when I get a reply.

9. Tokar

Tokar Registered Member

Here is the official reply, TheTester:

"SpywareTerminatorShield.exe is used for Scan and Update shedulers + Tray icon menu... User must turn off shedulers and tray icon to remove SpywareTerminatorShield.exe from startup."

In other words, that process seems to control more than I was aware of, namely:
    Scan scheduling
    Update scheduling
    System Tray Icon

10. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

Does spyware terminator have registry protection? How does it compare to dynamic security agent (I know DSA provides network control) in terms of HIPS protection? Also, could I, or has anyone run, ST and SAS together both in realtime protection?

11. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

12. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Will there be any extended protection of Firefox with ST 2.0 other than the cookie monitoring it has now? I thought I read awhile back about support for Firefox, but maybe this was the cookie monitoring?

13. Tokar

Tokar Registered Member

The Spyware Scan supports Firefox cookies, as does the Cookies Scan feature (which is separate and located in the Internet Protection tab).

Spyware Terminator does not have (and has never had) any cookie shields, if that is what you are referring to.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  14. Tokar

Tokar Registered Member

TheTester, would you be interested in testing an unreleased database we wish to append to our current database?

15. the Tester

Tokar.
    Check your PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.