Spyware software - Spycop

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Pilli, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hello, I have started this thread as Mr Balze mentioned Spycop in the TDS3 forum. I feel a discussion about Spycop seemed more apt here.
    My questions are:
    1. Would I gain any extra benefit from running Spycop as I already run, Spybot S&D, AdAware, spywareBlaster & spywareGuard.
    2. Does Spycop use a more advanced or better technology than those mentioned in quetion 1 or have they just been doing it longer & have a larger database.

Thanks for any replies - Pilli

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Pilli,

IMO Spybot is unbeaten in detection and speed of updates.
    The Adaware you´re running has not been updated in almost four months. :blink:
    SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard are excellent programs for protection and we all know how hard Javacool works on his updates. And when you´ve got Spybot S&D to back it up I think your protection against spyware is excellent.
    With Adaware hopefully coming soon with version 6, my advice would be to keep the money in your pocket for a while.

Regards,

Pieter

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Pieter, Thanks for your reply.
    I am aware of AdAware's recent lack of updates, I have a licence for AdAware + so, hopefully, will be informed when the new V6 is available.

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Pilli,

Yes, Lavasoft clearly stated in their announcements that all paying customers would get a free upgrade.

Regards,

Pieter

5. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Pilli - SpyCop is focused entirely on detecting keyloggers and keyloggers only.

To the best of my knowledge, their database of keyloggers is larger than anyone else's - and, yes, they have been at it for quite awhile.

I bought it years ago and have been entirely satisfied with it (you get life-time DB and engine updates for no extra charge when you purchase it).

That said, the keylogger detection provided by other programs (notably SBS&D and TDS) should be sufficient for most users who aren't specifically concerned about the possibility of being key-logged .

The major players in the keylogging market frequently make changes to make their programs harder to detect - or even try to disable anti-keylogging programs - I'm not sure how much of a priority it is with software that merely includes keylogger detection as a single element of their program to keep up with those kinds of changes and tactics.

(I like malware-specific software - when a program concentrates solely on one threat, it generally does a better job of keeping up with that threat - at least IMO). Pete

6. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Very well said, Pete!

John

7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

8. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.