Spyware Guard vs. MS Anti-Spyware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by psaulm119, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psaulm119

psaulm119 Registered Member

I have used MS Antispyware and been quite happy with it ever since it came out. Reviews of it online have been pretty decent. Someone at a security forum has recently recommended I use Spyware Guard. I wasn't too thrilled with the fact that it doesn't do a manual entire-system scan, but I can find other apps to do this. I was wondering--would there be any reason to switch from MS Antispyware to Spyware Guard? Is its scanning/detection technique that much better? Does it do more things? I didn't find this topic in a search, although I found some pretty interesting threads in this forum.

Specifically, I see in the program control panel that it monitors .exe and cab files, blocks BHOs, as well as spyware onto IE, which as Firefox user I rarely use anyways. I believe MS AS does quite a bit more. Not trying to start a flame war, just wondering--are these two programs in teh same group, or do they try to do different things?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  2. SwordOfSecurity

SwordOfSecurity Registered Member

i'd stick with ms antispyware if i were you. you can add spyware guard IF you want, but imo its more of a less-detailed program based only on real-time protection which largely uses heuristics and rarely updates. it is very popular among the public since it is an okay FREE spyware real-time protection (there aren't a lot out there) and has been reccomended by a lot of people and i myself think it is okay. however, throwing away ms antispyware for it...no thanks :p i still would prefer it more since its a full antispyware application that is one of the well known, good ones out there today.

hope i didnt offend anybody using/supporting spyware guard (not trying to)

P.S if you want to look more into spyware guard and its features, just go to the official javacool website

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.