Spyware Guard - browser hijacking issue

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by radunn, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radunn

radunn Registered Member

Hi,

Certain sites I visit cause Internet Explorer to resize. Is this considered browser hijacking and does SpywareGuard protect against this? In advance, thanks for your time and support.

:eek:

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

No, this isn't considered browser hijacking (it is useful for ensuring sites display correctly), so SpywareGuard's Browser Hijacking Protection doesn't block it currently. This doesn't permanently (or at least shouldn't) change the size of the browser - just for that open window. Some sites will even change it back when you browse to another site.

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. radunn

radunn Registered Member

[This doesn't permanently (or at least shouldn't) change the size of the browser - just for that open window.]

The annoyance/nuissance is that what I am referring to "does" effect the browser size when IE is reopened after it has been resized by "these" sites. Therefore I was anticipating the SG would possibly address. If not, is there a program or setting that prevents this?

Thanks - Radunn :cool:

p.s.: is there a means to copy/paste reply quotes here?

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I don't know of any software myself that stops the resizing of new IE windows thanks to this capability that those kind of sites are using. But, like Javacool, I've never had one permanently change my saved size.

However, I think the size and location are actually saved when IE closes. For example, open two IE windows. Minimize one (to save for later use). Then on the second one - totally resize it - then close it. Leave the other minimized but go open a new one. It should open in the size and location of the one you just resized and closed.

If that happens as stated above, then close that one. Now call up the minimized IE session (it should be the only one on your desktop at this point). It is still in the original size and shape. Close it. Now open IE again. It should be back to the size and shape of the last (good) one closed.

What I'm trying to say is it is the last IE session closed that determines what size and shape gets stored for use the next time you open IE. This works exactly as I described on my Windows XP system. If this works the same for you, you could do what I do, be mindful that the very last IE window you close is the one that determine the saved size and shape.

Yes, in whatever post you want to quote, hit the "quote" button inside it's upper right corner. That brings you to the normal posting page, but, it prefills an entire quote block of the text from that post. See image below.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.