Spyware Doctor is good

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hollywoodpc, Nov 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

I have been testing AS programs for quite sometime . Only on demand . NOT the realtime as I do not use these . I must say that Spyware Doctor really is good . I was a little surprised . There are very good antimalware apps but , for on demand to see if anything is on your system , SD really rocks . Testing proved it found more than M$AS , Pest Patrol , SpySweeper , and McAfee . SD seemed to run light for me . Not to say how it will run on your system as all are different . Just a suggestion to give it a try . I wish I could find the free version that only detects and removes in on demand as I never use realtime . But , it is money well spent . If anyone else needs an app for spyware , the above mentioned are all good in my eyes . Spy Doctor proved the best .

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Spyware Doctor is very good for on-demand, but they said that the if we download the free version from download.com, we can scan and remove the threats, but it doesn't work... :(

3. hollywoodpc

Thanks VaMPiRiC_CRoW .
    Yes . I would like to use only an ondemand version . I cannot find it . I had it but , like an idiot , I updated when it told me one was available and POOF , it no longer removed anything . Sad . It would be nice if they did something like Ewido . A free version for ondemand detection and removal and a paid for that + realtime tools . Too much money for ondemand only , IMHO .

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I agree with you...

I only want it for on-demand, but I already have CounterSpy, so...

5. hollywoodpc

Ah . Another good one . I forgot that CS was included in my test . CS is excellent . SD proved slightly better for me . I would feel safe with either of them .

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Maybe someone from PCTools see this topic and make a free version of SD :)

7. hollywoodpc

Don't hold your breath . lol . We can only hope my friend .

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I know :D

9. hollywoodpc

SpyCatcher Express is very good too . Might want to try that one dude . It is almost as good as SD . try it out and let me know if you do .
    Take care

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

11. hollywoodpc

You should give it a shot . I tell you it is really good . I use it personally . As an on demand AS , I will continue to use this . I like it better than SpySweeper and even CS . I would like SD though as well . Choose your pleasure but , IMHO , you might want to try Spy Catcher . They have the paid but , I use the Express version . Detects and removes o0n demand . Let me know my friend . I would really like to read your thoughts . You might hate it . Only you can figure that out . remember . No trial . Get the Express and you are good to go .

12. T772

T772 Guest

13. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

BUT IME, it takes a VERY long time to scan on-demand. Much longer than CounterSpy/Microsoft Beta/SpySweeper on my machines. I would rate the last 3 programs higher than SD.

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I will try it ;)

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

16. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I use Spy Sweeper and Spyware Doctor and found them both pretty well even. The only difference is the scan speed which I find SW is faster at.

17. T772

T772 Guest

Its the only Free version there is, its still worth using as you still have access to the live update function, the only other Free Spyware Doctor just has the Guard, T

18. T772

T772 Guest

http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/free/promo/pcuserau/

Found this link to get a Free Version! from Pc Tools,

T

19. hollywoodpc

BlackCat .
    I think it is wonderful your scan speeds are faster and you rate those 3 higher . Speed is not important to me and was not taken into account . SD is very good . SW is very good too . SW IS faster . And , about even with SD . I prefer a thorough check and clean . As stated before , in MY tests , SD was the winner . Best of speed and detection AND cleaning , SW . But , did not detect as well as SD . Cleaning was perfect with Sw as it was with SD . Take your sp3eed . I want something that works thoroughly AND SD is not a slowpoke either . It may be slower than some but , it scans my machine ( 162,000 items ) in about 12w minutes . Usually I only scan my one drive . That takes about 5 minutes .

20. hollywoodpc

Thanks T772 . That will not work though . The y WILL send you a code but , it only works with the cd that was shipped in PC Magazine . I wonder why I never got one .

21. twig

twig Guest

the only free ondemand version that I have seen of late is in "Hitman Pro" Which is free. However hitman Pro contains a number of anti spyware programmes such as adware / spywareblaster/ spyware Dr/ spybot search and destroy / spyware sweeper ( only for 30 days then it disaperes) / hitman pro / and one or two others . By default settings are run automatically to secure your pc. Certain other settings are run to secure browser as well ... Its only an ondemand scanner though but runs thru the lot in a rather long scan as there are a number of AS programmes. It seems to pick the best from each in order to attain pretty good coverage and secure browsing etc. The initial download takes a while due to the programmes and updates. Really excellent as a weekly AS scan. Personally I would use firefox and adblock plus and set my cookies to delete at close of firefox. (which is what I do use and no longer run any anti spyware .

22. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Well, I tried the SpyCatcher Express but already uninstall it...
    The program himself is slow, doesn't have the option to not start with windows, and I don't like this...

23. hollywoodpc

Hi again VaMPiRiC_CRoW .
    Just so you know , it DOES have the option not to start as I do not let it start up with Windows . Does not matter though . That is why you should try different things . Not slow at all on my system and scans fairly competetively in speed . try others . You will find one you like i am sure . And as for Hitman Pro . I thought that SD in that was also a 30 day . I tried Hitman Pro and did not like it myself . Just personal taste . There are so many AS programs to choose from now . Pick one that has been shown to have good detection rates and see what you like and do not like . I am glad you are trying things . Every system is different . And people are different . Who knows . You might come across one that few people know about and can tell us about it to try it .
    Good luck my friend and keep me updated on what you try and how it goes

24. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I will stay only with CounterSpy for on-demand... :)

25. hollywoodpc

Check this out . Small amount but , decent time . Biggest problem is it takes about 40 seconds to kick in and begin on running processes . So load time is extremely slow . Good detection rate though . I am still hoping for a free on demand only version of SD . Since you know you like it , might want to check out Hitman Pro . I will try that again and seee how SD is in that . Thanks for the tip twig .

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.