Spyware Doctor cheats People ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Bubba, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe J.

Joe J. Guest

"Wow....that's pretty interesting, Mandy. Was it a "Google" search, by any chance?"

There is nothing "interesting" about clicking a thread that's one of the top links on the 1st page of this folder. Implying that she deliberately went and hunted to find bad info on this product is pretty lame.

"I'm more than a little dumbfounded that anyone would rehash a topic that hasn't been posted in for 6 months simply to rip a product...."

I'm dumbfounded at your treatment of this girl.

Where did she "rip a product?"

Where did she "rehash a topic?" The topic was already on page 1.

Do you have anger issues? Is it easier for you to pick on females?

2. gusz

gusz Guest

Hang around. You'll see this entire board has issues.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If all the snide remarks and personal confrontations don't stop now and if the thread doesn't stay on topic I will close it.

bigc

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    Do you know why Patrick Kolla and his product Spybot are so popular? Credibility. Honesty. That guy is one of the few people who never disappointed me with his software. I have never seen any tricks from him, any negotiations with adware companies and such. Of course, this is only the limited scope of my experience online, but I believe it is shared by millions. It is not by chance that Spybot is one of the most popular anti-spyware programs. People feel this and sympathize.
    In the long run, you will benefit greatly from sticking to 100% honesty, even if you lose buck in the short run. Releasing a free version was a smart move on your behalf.
    I really suggest you stick with Spyware Doctor terminology only. You will only gain points with people. Do you know how much a post like this in fact hurts your image among security-conscious people?
    I believe I have recommended Spybot to at least 100 people in my life, but I cannot admit I did the same with Spyware Doctor. Recently though, I have begun to become pleasantly surprised by your product, what with the free version what with the reduction in false positives and improvement of the search engine. But seeing this post, my enthusiasm for Spyware Doctor goes down a bit.
    If you establish a reputable name across years, people will come to you and seek your products. It is a natural thing. Honesty pays in the end.
    Cheers,
    Mrk

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

That's ok, it takes a little time to get used to things around here ;) :D

BTW, welcome to Wilders :D

Cheers :D

6. Susan T.

Susan T. Guest

Don’t apologize to the misogynist Mandy. He obviously is the one with the agenda.

There is a reason many females don't feel welcome in message boards.

Thank you Blackspear for at least trying to smooth it over.

-st

7. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

To the one person posting as: "Mandy.", "Joe J." and "Susan T." - you are in violation of the forums Terms of Service, specifically this line: "Whether you participate as a guest or registered member, posting on the forum using multiple identities for purposes such as but not limited to bumping topics, supporting a position stated by one identity through use of another, or to mislead or misdirect in any way is prohibited."

Everyone, please be aware that several of the postings in this "discussion" were made by just one person, who is using different member and guest identities to try to fool people into thinking there are multiple people talking to each other. But, those under the names I mentioned are the same exact person. Researching this further, I've found they did the same thing recently in many other threads, in some cases supporting how great a particular product is and then agreeing with themselves about it.

Whether this specific topic is new or old, right or wrong, on target or off, settled between the Spybot and Spyware Doctor authors, or not.... that's for honest and up front discussions. Deceptive postings as multiple personalities to reinforce your postion is just plain wrong. Since they started doing this long before any supposed slight above in this thread, we can't excuse it because they "were offended" here. They simply have a pattern of replying in threads as multiple people just to push whatever agenda they have.

8. Hard Rocker

Hard Rocker Registered Member

I do not consider a product like Spyware Doctor to be " ever improving " o_O when in fact it has not produced one legitimate detection on my PC .

As well, from my experience with Spy Sweeper .... it has produced only 2 F/P's on my PC and this includes the Spy Cop detection.

While Counter Spy has produced several F/P's .... it continues to make legitimate detections.

Therefore, from my experience, Spyware Doctor does not rate even close to Spy Sweeper or Counter Spy.

HR :cool:

9. Beefcarver

Beefcarver Registered Member

I think im gonna change my name to mr ask jeeves and line my pockets with some cash and wear a suit like him and dupe some people. Shame on you PC
    Tools. You need to be on the rouge list in antispyware products. And I agree your product does nothing for me and is sitting in my Recycle bin... and what awards has your software recieved wheres thato_O goodbye to you.

10. Beefcarver

I think I stepped Outta line with that last post and if I did Im sorry. so if I understand you correctly PcTools; you think its your right to advertize and make money off someone elses name and use old fashioned words to maximize publicity to your product to line your pockets is ok? why dont you call yourself websters dictionary then you would have a whole book of search words to dupe people out of there money with. :mad: :mad: :blink: :blink: yuck. im done. :ninja:

11. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Thank you for looking into this, setting the record straight and for posting this comment, Mike.

I suspected there was some sort of an agenda behind it.....with the ridiculously obscene "misogynist" and "agenda" type comments. Since when has it become "off-limits" to inquire as to why a 6 month old topic was being rehashed? Only if the poster has a generally accepted "female" username? And then to have anonymous posts following up trying to make a mountain out of a molehill regarding something that I didn't even consider to be a probem or confrontation and bringing gender into it is about as weak as it gets. Trying to discredit or put anyone on some sort of a guilt trip just because they ask a question is pretty insane. And yes, I figured that the reason this topic was being brought up after this much time was simply to discredit, blast, or rip the Spyware Doctor product.

And I think I've been somewhat vindicated. The whole reason for questioning this topic being arisen from the dead after six months of inactivity is because of exactly what has followed. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that some people are going to want to throw their two cents in and discredit PC Tools without reading all the facts involved or check into the time line or period when this was being discussed. Bubba suggested recently to PC Tools that they should consider making their forum presense here at Wilders, but given the hostile attitude from some fanatics of competing products that frequent here, that likely wouldn't be a very wise decision. All anyone has to do is read Mrkvonic, Hard Rocker and Beefcarver's comments to see what I mean (and what I KNEW would happen as a result of rehashing a topic that hadn't been posted in for 6 months).

12. dog

dog Guest

Hi BeefCarver;

I wouldn't pass judgement on that alone, marketing is marketing I guess, and while I don't like the idea myself, they are using a tool available to them to help market their product; It's clearly marked as a paid advertising link, so it's still on the up and up, and plain to see.

I've just install Spyware Doctor tonight 740PM EST ... and I'm just running an initial scan after updating to the current DB. My initial impression is Spyware Doctor looks to be fairly solid. The initial scan just finished and no Fps were reported, it did report a restriction I set for IE (which it should), I added it to the ignore list - And ran a 'quick scan' to confirm it accepted it correctly (it did). The option set seems to be very configurable for both the realtime guard and scanning options. Overall it seems to be a very reasonable antispy tool. I'll report more after a more thorough look. ~Time Will Tell~

Eric Howes also thinks it's a trustworthy antispy product - Trustworthy List

Regards;

Steve

13. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Time for everyone to take some deep breaths and maybe go for a walk. Labeling people and name calling is not helpful to anyone.

14. Hard Rocker

Hard Rocker Registered Member

:rolleyes: Right On !!

If by reporting an honest and accurate account of how a program has either performed or not performed on my PC makes me a " fanatic " for other software ..... well .... I won't even bother to dignify that comment with a response.

HR ;)

15. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I was making a general blanket statement without referring to anyone individually....and NO, I was not referring to you, because you are a user of this particular product. I was referring to others who likely don't or haven't used the product, but who simply want to deter anyone that is sitting on the fence FROM using it in an attempt to "sway" them towards their product of choice. Does that make sense?

Anyway, this was my intention....I simply referred to your comments by pointing out that rehashing this 6 month old thread ensured that negative comments would be forthcoming (which they were).

16. Beefcarver

I guess so. maybe more research into this software needs to be addressed. I will watch and wait for now. sorry for my comments.

17. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Please pull up Google and search for "Spybot". Here's the first (very top right) sponsored link.

"Spyware Search & Destroy
    Best spyware detection and removal.
    Download free, safe, accurate scan.
    www.Webroot.com"

Just thought it was funny as many of the users that have posted here in this thread use SpySweeper from WebRoot but condemed PCtools when they did this. Also note that it even uses the phrase Search & Destroy. Sorry to rehash this old link but it was amusing. If this has been posted elsewhere sorry for the repost.

Thanks,

Chris

18. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Given that this thread started over a year ago, may I suggest that the real reason is that Webroot were not using this sales method back then?

Trying to mislead users via sponsored search results is a tactic I condemn, whether it be done by PCTools or Webroot (though Webroot's entry does make it a little clearer that they are a different product than the other links). And I would also hold Google responsible for not policing their choice of adwords better.

19. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Totally possible. But then or now shouldn't make a difference if they thought it was considered cheating people.

I agree that a vendor should not intentionally try to mislead them is not a good thing but I mean on the main page you can easily tell from both these vendors that they are not SpyBot S&D. So in both cases they are not really trying to cheat people in my opinion.

Thanks,

Chris

20. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

And this is a glowing example why i refuse to use google.Every time i've used it previously, its always taken me longer to find things because of this.Advertising should be on the side, not in the listings.

21. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Searching for 'Spybot' with Google doesn't give me any sponsored link and all the entries on the first page are from 'Spybot Search & Destroy'.
    I thought Google would give similar results anywhere in the world as long as you are using the same language.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.