Spyware Detector - how to get rid of it?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by housepiglet, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. housepiglet

housepiglet Registered Member

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I wasn't able to make a post in what looks like the trojans/hijackers etc section.

I've just run Spybot S&D and it found Spyware Detector. I chose 'fix' once the scan was finished, but then WinPatrol Plus kept coming up and asking whether I was happy for a new auto Startup Program related to Spyware Detector to run. I said no, but similar windows just kept coming up again and again until eventually I was forced to close WinPatrol down.

Having almost accidentally followed a link on Google earlier this evening that would have installed malware I'm now very nervous about taking any advice I find in Google about how to get rid of this pest. Can anyone here please advise me?

I have NOD32 v.3 and MalWareBytes Anti-Malware, but only Spybot S&D alerted me to the problem.

Many thanks if you can help :'(

2. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Some antimalware apps are and some aren't classifying Spyware Detector as a rogue app so may not have it's removal in the database.
    Ran Spyware Detector here and it is still showing false positives and imo should be in all rogue app lists.

4. housepiglet

Many thanks for the suggestion. I've run the scan and it detected nothing. Presumably Spyware Detector isn't listed in the SuperAntiSpyware database of nasties. I know that not all the anti-malware products include it.

I'll reboot, then, and see what happens.

Thanks again for helping :)

5. housepiglet

Thanks Franklin. I'm going to see if I can get rid of it. Maybe it'll just come out with an ordinary uninstall.

Thanks for helping :)

6. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

7. housepiglet

Thanks, djohn. I'll go and take a look at that.

Sorry for the delay in replying: I've only just spotted your response :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.