spyware blaster with spybot

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by kevm, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevm

kevm Registered Member

hello. I use spyware blaster with spybot s and d version 1.2. As I am sure most of you are aware, spybot has released version 1.3. It seems to me that some of the functionality of spyware blaster is contained in the latest release of spybot S and D.
    I was wondering if anyone has the combination of spyware blaster version 3.2 and spybot S and d version 1.3 running with success and if any of the options in either program should be turned off when running this combination.
    Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions
    Kev

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Kev,

There are a few machines where I do indeed run both porgrams and have no problem with that combination. As you're aware....there are certain features of each program contained in the other....ActiveX Compatibility(CLSID's), spyware/tracking cookies(IE's Privacy\Per Site Privacy Actions) and Restricted Sites Protection. Where a user has to be cautious is when they remove protection in one....it's removed....no matter which program placed that entry.

Take for example a Restricted Site entry of CoolWebSearch. That is just one of the many sites SpywareBlaster and Spybot adds to the registry. If I remove that entry....either by unchecking that site via SpywareBlaster or removing Immunization via Spybot....I have removed the protection.

3. Deke

Deke Registered Member

As usual Bubba is right on in his information about these two programs.

Not only are some of the same functions on both but Spybot even acknowledges that SpywareBlaster's Active X will give you much more control of this function as denoted by this image from Spybot's Immunize section.

Attached Files:

4. kevm

kevm Registered Member

thanks guys, funny you should mention that. I was a bit scared when I did the immunization check in spybot and it told ne that about 1300 entries were protected and 307 more could be. They recommended immunizing which I have not yet done. But, to your point, I hit the undo tab, not expecting it to do anything. I did hear activity, so I ran the check again. This time, 0 items were protected. As you stated, I opened spyware blaster and noticed that the undo from within S and D did remove all of the protection. I re-enabled protection in spyware blaster. Do either of you guys run spyware blaster and immunize with S and D also?. Is it worth the effort? And what about that I/E option within immunize, the downloaded thing. I dont quite understand that fully.

Thanks fior your responses..

Kev

5. Deke

Deke Registered Member

Yes to your question about do I run both.

As Bubba stated they both bring something to the game and it just gives you an added layer of protection.

Here is the scoop on the IE Bad Download Blocker:

Permanently running bad download blocker for Internet Explorer

This is a second layer of protection for IE. While the Permanent Immunity blocks installers by their ActiveX ID, this one blocks anything that should come through by different aspects.
    You can view a log of blocked installers in the Tools / Resident section.

6. kevm

kevm Registered Member

thanks Deke and buba for your responses. take care

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.