Spyware Blaster. Spy Sweeper

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hogndog, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

o_O I was told it is safe to run anti virus programs side by side. I believe the term used is layering. This sounded good "more is better" or is it The first line off defence already in place was Spy Sweeper. Spyware Blaster to follow, and then things got rather hectic. I started to do the updates in the Blaster and the Spy Sweeper asked permission to open access or block it, I stopped the download because the Spy Sweeper said it would change security settings. My question is, was I right to stop the download or should I have continued? :)

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I'm no expert but i would say that is wrong unless one is running resident and the other is on demand.

SWB and SS have had issues in the past as mentoned here,

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=113841

Also, overlap is sometimes an issue.

snowbound

3. hogndog

:) Thank you, I'll look through your information* This much I know, the Spy Sweeper was the only security my computer knew to protect my computer.

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

You're welcome. :)

snowbound

5. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

SpywareBlaster does change the security settings. That is what it is supposed to do. Once they are changed those changes will prevent connections from known bad sites. Having done that, the program uses no resource at all, and confers valuable (blacklist-based) immunity from certain nasties.SpywareBlaster has been part of my system for 2 or 3 years, and is never a problem.

Allow the download.

From trying Webroot once, and from other stuff I've read about it, it's a high maintenance piece of kit, and personally I wouldn't try it again.

A bit of clarification for you about "layering" (or perhaps more the terminology you're using.)

One antivirus is one layer. You can't then add another antivirus (resident) without problems. You should have 1 AV as part of your defense.

An antispyware resident is another, different layer. (Spysweeper is one of these.) You can run it with an AV, but shouldn't run it with another antispyware (resident), problems may arise, and very likely will if malware is detected.

A firewall is another layer of defence. You can run only one software firewall. A hardware firewall can also be run, furthering that layer.

Immunizing is another layer. More than one means of immunizing can usually be applied. SpywareBlaster is an example. The BadSiteBlocker in Spybot is an example. Having a Hosts file is an example.

Hardening is another layer. (Don't know too much about this, but...)At a basic level, having all the software updated and patched is an example. Setting the security and privacy permissions fairly tight in browse programs is another. Running a non admin account when on the web is another.

Virtualising is another layer. I know even less about this, but running web-based applications in a sandbox could be an example.

Another layer would be a system where the operating system and everything on it is backed up, so can easily be re-installed should the worst come to the worst. There are (I believe) applications that do this "on the fly" so to speak, and every time a browsing or web sesion has finished, that session can be "discarded, wiped" (and any nasties that came in with it, too.)

This is fairly basic level stuff, 'coz I confess my understanding of it is fairly basic, but enough to get by so far.
    I hope that if I have anything majorly wrong, a more experienced user will spot it and correct. (Thanks in advance.)
    And if it's more or less right, likewise, perhaps some confirmation would be useful, for the OP and myself. (Ditto thanks.)

6. hogndog

:D I'll be a printin this one out, your pretty savvy with these things. I am just a novice.

Thank you

7. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback, I'm not that far from being seriously novice myself. If this is useful to print, be my guest, but it may be worthwhile to wait and see if anyone else has something to add.
    Or have a wee browse through the forum for "the hot goss."

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Out of curiosity, what other security do you have on your computer besides SpySweeper and Spyware Blaster? Do you have SpySweeper that includes an antivirus? Are you running Windows firewall?

If you posted your Operating System (Windows XP, 2000, Vista, whatever- along with the amont of memory and processing speed) you could get some pretty good advice for setting something up or some opinions about what all you have, what you may consider adding, etc.

9. hogndog

I have an older Dell D-333. has 320Mb of Ram, not much memory there. Then there is WebRoots Desk Top Fire Wall to complete it all. I tried to get more memory and after running a system check told me I needed a new computer.

Thank's every one, the service here is great! :D

10. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Hmmm. Not that much to play with, then. Is it Windows 2000 or XP? Or even'98?
    And do you have any antivirus at all, or just the Webroot program incl firewall?

[edit] PS not trying to hijack any advice you have, acr1965.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.