Spyware Blaster 3 won't open

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by gunnarj, Mar 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunnarj

gunnarj Registered Member

Hello,

I did a complete uninstall of the old Spyware Blaster, first unchecking all protection, and then did an install of Version 3.

However the new version will not open for me at all; the Alt-Ctrl-Del shows it is running, but the GUI does not show.

I never had any problems with the previous version.

Any ideas?

I have WinME and have a number of JavaCools other programs with no problems. I installed it into my D: drive, not the C: drive.

I also uninstalled again and then reinstalled, to no avail.

Thanks,

gunnarj

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Could you try installing the Microsoft VB run-times?

http://download.microsoft.com/download/vb60pro/Redist/sp5/WIN98Me/EN-US/vbrun60sp5.exe

After downloading the above and running the installer, please reboot your computer. Then try running SpywareBlaster again.

That should rule out any conflict with older versions of the necessary support files. :)

Thanks,

-Javacool

3. gunnarj

Hi,

Thanks for your swift response.

I installed the Microsoft VB run-times as you suggested, but no dice.

If you think installing over my older version would be okay, I could uninstall Version 3, and reinstall the older version, using Norton's Uninstall Wizard (from the CleanSweep program). It saved a copy of the original uninstall of 2.61.
    Then I could just install the Version 3 over that.

I also will unload Trojan Hunter, the AT I have running, as perhaps that might possibly conflict. I also run Nod32 AV and OutPost Pro as firewall.

Thanks for any more ideas.

gj

4. javacool

Please let me know if unloading any of those security applications allows SpywareBlaster to run.

I'm looking into this issue now.

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. javacool

Could you e-mail me at bugreports@javacoolsoftware.com please?

I may be able to provide you with a special testing version so I can try to determine the cause. Thanks!

Best regards,

-Javacool

6. roshisan

roshisan Registered Member

I have the same problem. Spywareblaster 3 will not open. no error messages, task manager says it is open but not responding. I did a clean install and got this problem. I uninstalled it and got a new download of the installation file but same result. I then installed the 2.6 version which again ran fine. Then installed version 3 over the old. Same result. I run Win98SE with Avast antivirus but no other blocking programs running during the installations or when attempting to open SpywareBlaster.

7. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

roshisan,

Follow the advice posted in Javacool's latest post right above ;)

regards.

paul

8. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

This problem seems to be specific to previous Systems (Win9x/ME), but for Win2K/XP Systems it works just fine. Possibly file missing, corrupted or wrong version, I could determine which of the following but since I’m on NT system that may be little difficult.

9. gunnarj

Hello again,

I have done as suggested and emailed you regarding testing version.
    This sounds great. I am much appreciative of your work and consideration of us 'older Windows build' folks.

Nothing I did helped the situation; and I had to get some sleep, so my response here was delayed.

Thanks,

gunnarj

======

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.